Where did my crop marks go?

Started by Slappy, February 28, 2018, 10:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Was messing with a manual ganged job, just 4up of 2 odd-sized pages and even though the first PDF has correct crops when placed on the impo, the 3 subsequent pages added to the same sheet have none - just the bleed bounding area. I don't see anywhere in this impo mode to add page crops either. I'll have to add screenshots tomorrow, just been an insane week and haven't had time to investigate. Worst case, I'll expand the bleed area so the original PDF crops show up but that's not ideal.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

Baby, baby, where did my marks go?

Sorry, the Supremes just started playing in my head when I saw the title. If you don't know the Supremes.... :old:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Tracy

Are you creating a pdf from XMF and the crops are not showing up?
or is it for a plate layout?

Slappy

For a plating layout. The PDFs I made from InDesign have all the usual bleeds/crops, but when I drag them into the Impo from the "Product Pages" pane, no XMF crops.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

AaronH

When you select the pages in your imposition, are you able to see if Corner Trim Marks under Dynamic Marks is turned on?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

I forgot to mention that if they are too close, such as bleed to bleed, you won't get any dynamic marks between them. This causes an issue when imposing for a dutch cut as if you have a page up above and pages lower on the sheet your horizontal crops for the higher up pages still won't show. Its very weird, but when that happens, we manually place in rectangle/line marks.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

You can try and uncheck avoid overlap, and see if anything shows up, careful of marks in the work tho.
but seeing that your not getting any marks you prolly don't have the marks turned on like Aaron said.

Slappy

Quote from: AaronH on March 01, 2018, 12:53:33 PMWhen you select the pages in your imposition, are you able to see if Corner Trim Marks under Dynamic Marks is turned on?
I'm in this mode, so many of those options aren't even available. Bad idea? Better way to gang odd-sized jobs?

Tracy

I have never seen product pages are your marks turned on?

I do gang runs using sections, I think you have a newer Version than I do.

frailer

Here's what I do for any (rare) ganging jobs. Not elegant, am sure, but... seems to work.

In your new job, select Binding Style 'None' at the bottom of the Assembly Sections window, just to be sure
In the Sheets window, select Flat Work. (Go 'OK' to the dumb window that opens up)
In the 'Imposition Patterns' area of the Signature window, go 'New'. select number of vertical/horizontal pages, re-number as required (from the default 2, 3).
Now...under 'Signature Settings', (top frame), hit 'Copy'. Now click on your imposition window next to Sig1. You'll get a copy numbered 3,4.
The world, from here on, is your oyster. You can repeat this, ad infinitum (well, not infinitum, but...).
Each sub-sheet can be selected, resized, have Clipping Margins tweaked, etc.
You can use your 'Shift+Control' key combo->click...click again to locate and lock stuff to sheet/plate corners/centres, or one copied sheet to another.
Adjust Clipping margins so your ganging elements 'kiss' each other...whatever you want.

If you need, say, 4 bizz cards to tack on, you'd select the '3, 4' sheet, hit 'New' in the Impo Pattern pane, change to 2 vertical, 2 horizontal. Once it's changed it to 4, change the Page Size further down. And so on...

I'll make up a 2xA4 + 4 Biz card job, and do a screenshot. Stay tuned
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

... some 'steps'...

Your Crop Marks should not intrude past your set Clipping Margins. *Should* not, (he says, bravely).  :D

Also, it may be useful to UNcheck the 'Restrict Marks To Outer Edges', in this case, (see earlier biz cards with crops missing, now in).
I also shortened the Crop Marks; better in this case.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

....missing screenshot.

frailer