output pdf rgb conversion profile

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, March 13, 2008, 07:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

I was wondering if anyone might have some insight to this:

We're outputing pdf's for black and white books to go to a B&W copier and I'm converting to rgb through InDesign because the blacks are not dense enough when left at Grayscale.

Is there any way to pick an output profile to darken everything up globally  by say, 20%? The 10 percent screens are coming out about 5 percent, etc. and going back and altering all the elements (ie. Illustrator) is very difficult and although I've tried many profiles in the export function of Indesign (which DO change the brightness of the screen) I've yet to find one that's acceptable. It's like shooting in the dark and I can't help but wonder why you can't do it another way. Some of these books will be printed on an offset press because they are longer runs and they are similar so they all have to kind of look the same.

Any help appreciated..

pspdfppdfxhd

sorry, and also, by just selecting the "darker" settings at the printer the results are not good. Even at the "darkest" setting the screens come out too light.

almaink

Have you tried printing them leaving them as is and using the printers options to control the contrast? Most printers print in RGB mode anyway. No idea what printer your using but my Non-postscript HP does a pretty good job if I tweak the ink settings in the print dialog box.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

pspdfppdfxhd

yeah, it's a canon copier made for office use I suppose. There's not a lot of control and very little support for us because it was a used machine and we can't seem to get any answers from anyone. I'd like to do it at the front end so there is less confusion.

almaink

I guess you could rasterize those pages and tweak them in Photoshop then, time consuming but thats all I got. Trying to go cheap looks like it's going to cost you more tho. Penny wise dollar foolish ring a bell?
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

pspdfppdfxhd

born2print

Hey pspdf!
there's a Colorsync tab in the print menu from Acrobat,
here's a link to colorsync info (OSX, btw)
maybe you could create a "curve" and apply during "print"

(then teach us how to do it :grin:)
good luck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColorSync_Utility
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

pspdfppdfxhd

thanks...when I get some free time I'll look into that.... but wtf is free time anymore?! :huh:

Sparky

pspdfppdfx, what version of Acrobat do you have? I just checked (again) in my 8.0 and under Advanced>Print Production>Convert Colors, there is a Destination Profile called Grey Gamma 2.2. I've played around with these profiles before and remember this was the one that made my files the darkest black I could get from a "Auto Black" or RGB black.

HTH
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

DigitalCrapShoveler

Why not create an action in Acrobat, via PitStop to globally change the black fills to Auto Black? Furthermore, change the grays while your at it. I mean if you want to bump it up, say 20%, what better way to do it? That's what PitStop was made for. Unless you don't have PitStop.
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

yeah, that's sort of what I'm doing now......changing the 100 black to rgb black for the text etc. but to globally change all the 10% screens to 20% it can get a little tedious. And if there is a gradient, well it's almost impossible.

A global 20% overall is about the goal without having to fiddle with individual graphics etc. When you export a pdf from InDesign you CAN convert all the text to rgb text which works great. Can pitstop handle the 20 percent overall darker? I couldn't figure it out.

Joe

Try changing your InDesign preferences for "Appearance of Black". Change the "Printing/Exporting option to "Output All Blacks as Rich Black" as shown in the attached image.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 16, 2008, 11:28:07 AMTry changing your InDesign preferences for "Appearance of Black". Change the "Printing/Exporting option to "Output All Blacks as Rich Black" as shown in the attached image.

My thought exactly.
Member #285 - Civilian