IDCS3 Placed PDFs vanish from final output PDF

Started by EyeTech, December 18, 2007, 08:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeTech

Strange one this...we make up ads PDFx1-a each one then 'Place' each one into a fresh document. (It's a wall planner) - there's maybe 30 to 36 ads to each chart.

When the job is fully assembled we 'Export' as PDFx1-a but when rendered or viewed in Acrobat some ads are missing. Printing to a ps file and the output is identical.

Atttributes have been checked for non-printing. Opening the document in CS2 and the output PDfx-1a is fine.

Ideas anyone?
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

almaink

No ideas except to say thats one more reason why I won't put CS3 into full production yet.
Yes I get CS3 files, but they all go through inx and are then opened and worked on in Indy CS2.
I am presently working on a customer supplied CS3 PDF that dropped a few letters on a few pages and also lost
background gray tints on a few other pages even tho it was composed and re-PDFed through Indy CS2.
My best guess as to what happened with the fonts was they were all subset not fully embedded. The images that dropped had Jpeg 2000 compression. I changed compression to zip and outlined all the fonts and the job ripped correctly. But like I said CS3 has issues from what I've seen.

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

EyeTech

Workaround found - making layers with the ads that disappear and placing them under the ads that don't seems to work. Beats me why CS3 has this issue and CS2 doesn't.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

almaink

LOL, I'm afraid to ask HTF you came up with that one!
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

EyeTech

Perspiration, inspiration but mainly desperation! ;)

frailer

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's a relief to hear people having similar problems with CS3 Indy PDFs. A comment was made by a support tech that CS3 code is written towards Print Engine, with which it works beautifully, by all accounts. Have tried various re-fries, some of which work. One offending page was a TIFF with one line of type. Prolly JPEG2000, after reading this. Am gonna try another test on this job, and make up another Optimizer profile, for Print, rather than small file size, and see if that works. When Fuji come up with pricing on their XMF [Print Engine "RIP"], it'll be worth a look. But I feel a bit "frog-marched" on this, because of these problems.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

EyeTech

Maybe you're  right - ApogeeX is up to v4 and we're still at 2.1 - but upgrade at 4000.00 sterling is steep.

ninjaPB_43

...just wanted to say Im glad this thread exists...   I am seeing a bit of this too when placing pdf's in INDD CS3 and exporting a pdf "layout" back out.  I havent the time this week to figure out the situation of each one and why, but will first of the new year, and interject back in..   

good to hear Im not alone is all.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

frailer

Just installed a bunch of Adobe Updates, including an Indy one. Maybe there's some "adjustments" in there. [Geez I'm a cock-eyed optimist...]. There documentation didn't specifically mention it on Adobe's site, but ya never know.
May have time to reprocess a problem job and see if it RIPs. Still think this is the start of the rot before we're "eased into" Print Engine.  ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

There are people slowly raising their hands and looking nervously around the room. I reckon there's a hidden pandemic of CS3 "issues" for prepressies. Thought it might warrant being a Sticky...for a while, anyway.  :(

EyeTech

I suppose the good thing here is that the 'dropouts' are easily detected in Acrobat prior to sending to ApogeeX.

The only solution we've found so far is to export the file to CS2 and PDFx from there.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: EyeTech on January 03, 2008, 04:07:24 AMThe only solution we've found so far is to export the file to CS2 and PDFx from there.

still the solution here for awhile as well.   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley