Archiving to BluRay

Started by frailer, October 05, 2011, 09:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

I still have a problem with the whole HD vs. Blu-Ray argument. I archive to Blu-Ray, use CD Finder for my Library. What took me a full day, sometimes longer of straight archiving to DVD, I can do in about 2 hours with Blu-Rays.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

And it would probably be about 15 minutes to HD. Besides, I thought we settled this long ago an we agreed you were wrong. :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2011, 10:26:12 AMAnd it would probably be about 15 minutes to HD. Besides, I thought we settled this long ago an we agreed you were wrong. :tongue:

I left in a tizzy. :laugh:

I just don't trust HDs as much as I trust Blu-Rays/DVDs. I have DVDs and CDs over 20 years old that still work exactly as they did when I burned them. I do not have an HD from that time. That's not saying ALL my archive disks work... just the majority of them. Goddamn bit rot.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

So you spray those DVD/BulRay with a magical potion to prevent bit rot on them?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2011, 10:33:29 AMSo you spray those DVD/BulRay with a magical potion to prevent bit rot on them?

No... do you spray your HDs?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

No but you seem to think the HD will go bad on the shelf but the DVD/BluRay won't. Hell if you pick up a DVD/BluRay and look at it wrong it scratches. Too delicate for my hands.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2011, 10:37:22 AMNo but you seem to think the HD will go bad on the shelf but the DVD/BluRay won't. Hell if you pick up a DVD/BluRay and look at it wrong it scratches. Too delicate for my hands.

No I do not think this. When did I say Blu-Ray/DVDs are exempt from bit-rot?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Well, you said you think they are more reliable long term.

QuoteI just don't trust HDs as much as I trust Blu-Rays/DVDs. I have DVDs and CDs over 20 years old that still work exactly as they did when I burned them.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2011, 10:50:10 AMWell, you said you think they are more reliable long term.

QuoteI just don't trust HDs as much as I trust Blu-Rays/DVDs. I have DVDs and CDs over 20 years old that still work exactly as they did when I burned them.

I said this, too... "That's not saying ALL my archive disks work... just the majority of them"

I do think they are more reliable long term, but I do not think they are exempt from bit rot.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

I'm not taking sides, I like my skin where it is. Being a geek that was single for 10+ years I've done a lot of reading and if it was my choice I'd have redundant archives on HDDs. Optical media holds less, is more prone to physical damage and the plastics can deteriorate over time. HDDs weren't a viable option years ago but now they're dirt cheap. I have lost exactly one hard drive in all my years of dicking with computers. I've had HDDs in floods and fire and they all still work. Would I trust them for archives in that state, no but they can serve as disposable external drives. I have a pair of 15g Maxtor drives that have been my RAID system drives in every one of my builds except my last 3.

Just do what works for you and backup the backups and you shouldn't have issue.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

We are all a product of our fuck-ups and the fuck-ups of the machines we use. Fair enough.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2011, 10:26:12 AMAnd it would probably be about 15 minutes to HD. Besides, I thought we settled this long ago an we agreed you were wrong. :tongue:

Hmmm... sounding like the good old days.    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on October 21, 2011, 01:51:07 PM

Hmmm... sounding like the good old days.    :laugh:

That is does, mi Capitan.
Member #285 - Civilian

Nick Burns

You can keep your etch-a-sketch hard drives unless you're running ZFS. Stone carving has always stood the test of time... behold
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

Tracy