Proofers that aren't like brain surgery

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, June 08, 2017, 08:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Surely in this day and age there exists a proofing system that doesn't require a NASA scientist to keep stable and operational.

Anyone have any happy solutions? I am sick and tired of hearing our proofs are bad with no support available to help us without costing an arm and a leg or probably more than a new printer would.

:drunk3:

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 08, 2017, 08:28:49 AMSurely in this day and age there exists a proofing system that doesn't require a NASA scientist to keep stable and operational.

Anyone have any happy solutions? I am sick and tired of hearing our proofs are bad with no support available to help us without costing an arm and a leg or probably more than a new printer would.

:drunk3:

Tell 'em it looks fine on your screen.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Nowadays I am hearing more and more: It looks good on my iphone. Not kidding.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

I understand the customer angle.

Fact is the proofer is unstable and the pressmen complain about it, but nobody wants to spend the money to fix the problem.

Gotta stop feeling like it's my fault.

Joe

Same old story...everyone wants everything perfect until they hear the price. At least twice a year our owners want to try Stochastic printing...until they once again see the price tag.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

yeah well it's all fun and games till the reds start looking brown and the greens start looking blue.

Farabomb

It's a tale as old as time.

Just like it's always prepresses' fault.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

It's not your fault if the proofer isn't calibrated to the press!

Possum

I love that old thing, "why didn't you tell me something was wrong with it?" Like, "why didn't you listen when i DID tell you six months ago?"
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Ear

No, they do not make a physical press proofing system that isn't mild rocket surgery to set up and maintain. I have a couple and they are more high maintenance than the platesetter, FFS.

I'm getting successful soft-proofing results, but only when the designer plays ball. If they give me the right PDF, (PDF 1.7 or no dice) and it passes my PitStop certification, I send them a certified PDF and a copy of the Enfocus Preflight report and tell them to view the PDF in Acrobat, as their proof.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black