inpO2 vs Dynastrip

Started by Grimace, July 30, 2010, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimace

Quote from: mattbeals on August 02, 2010, 07:49:40 PMMaybe the Quite Software website is a bit simplistic but the software is incredibly powerful. There's not a lot that you can't do with it. Guys at Kodak sell Quite Imposing, and they own Preps. You're doing yourself a real disservice if you dismiss Quite Imposing based on the website. Spend more money for a flashy website if you want.

Well, the reason I went to the site was to give it a second chance, I downloaded the manual and spent about an hour reading through the features.
I had previously tried the free trial of Quite (not plus) and found it very, very similar to what I was already using.

I'll concede my prejudice of the website, I can forgive a cheesy joke or two, but the heart of the website should be easily navigable. Theirs is not.
So, if they can't write the code for a simple site, especially these days with all the tools available, how are their software writing skills? How intuitive will that software be?

By the way, the cost of inpO2 is the same as Quite Plus. I'm not championing inpO2 over anything, but it doesn't seem their website incurs a surcharge.
Although I guess the site isn't all that flashy.

mattbeals

It's arguably the most user friendly imposition tool. There's a reason the software sells as much and as widely as it does; it's effective and efficient. There are over 60,000 seats deployed around the world. Hard to say that it doesn't work well or is "hoaky" when it is the most widely used imposition tool around. Their code is as solid as any other, if not more so. They don't come out with patches constantly because they do it right the first time. Can't say that about most developers in any field. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. It's up to you if you want to overlook the usefulness of the tool in favor of something "shiny and sparkly". If Inpo2 is in the same price range then you should give both a fair chance.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Grimace

Quote from: mattbeals on August 03, 2010, 09:59:08 AMIt's arguably the most user friendly imposition tool. There's a reason the software sells as much and as widely as it does; it's effective and efficient. There are over 60,000 seats deployed around the world. Hard to say that it doesn't work well or is "hoaky" when it is the most widely used imposition tool around. Their code is as solid as any other, if not more so. They don't come out with patches constantly because they do it right the first time. Can't say that about most developers in any field. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. It's up to you if you want to overlook the usefulness of the tool in favor of something "shiny and sparkly". If Inpo2 is in the same price range then you should give both a fair chance.

And there is millions more Chevys than BMW's. Guess what I'd rather drive.
More isn't better, just to be clear.

mattbeals

More may be better. You'd have to try it to find out. A higher price doesn't mean it's a better produt. You're money though. It's just awfully narrow minded that's all.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Grimace

Quote from: mattbeals on August 03, 2010, 11:36:51 AMMore may be better. You'd have to try it to find out. A higher price doesn't mean it's a better produt. You're money though. It's just awfully narrow minded that's all.

My analogy may have been a bad one.
As far as impo systems, the two I've mentioned are the same price.
If I choose in this range inpO2 is the better of the two. It is a bit frustrating to learn, but I can see already that it can do some things Quite won't.
One thing that stands out is having to tell Quite how to shuffle and rotate pages for pagination by typing in the string of page numbers in the order I need them, where as inpO2 has presets for most common folding/signatures and automatically places the pages in the correct place and position. I can also modify those setting anyway I need (although, this is where I'm getting a bit stuck) and can apply those settings to other jobs regardless of page count.

Quite has instructions telling me to make folding dummies to find my page order?!? I thought that was an imposition programs job.
But, then again, I'm awfully narrow minded.

mattbeals

No, now you're not being narrow minded. Now you are pointing out a practical difference that is impacting your user experience. You can rotate pages and shuffle in Quite, it's just not the same as impo2. The way Quite does it apparently is not the way you prefer to work. Which is just fine. But now we are working with real information.

If you want to see if there is an easier way to use Quite to do what you want I suggest you email Charles James at Quite Software (sales@quite.com) and he will help you. Give it a shot, you might be surprised. Maybe you won't. But at least you will be making a decision from a position of product knowledge.

I may be as mad as a hatter, but there is a method to my madness.
Matt Beals