Printer recommendations....

Started by Joe, March 22, 2017, 02:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 10:37:21 AMandyfest and EmptyWords...did you get the printer separately or get everything through CGS?
Actually Joe - got the whole thing thru Fuji - CGS did the install of Oris software/hardware and Fuji tech installed the printer. CGS did the calibration afterwards with software and printer.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

andyfest

Quote from: EmptyWords on March 23, 2017, 11:53:54 AM
Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 10:37:21 AMandyfest and EmptyWords...did you get the printer separately or get everything through CGS?
We didn't get into any of the soft proof stuff. The software probably has a lot more bells and whistles than we will ever use. There is a spot where techs can actually drag n drop 1 bits or pdfs remotely and it will queue them up. We did get the optional dot screen module so we have the option of printing con tone using pdfs or screened proofs using screened 1 bit tiffs.

We got our setup through Fuji, but CGS worked extensively with Fuji to pitch the sell, then was involved somewhat with the install, the Fuji guys were the ones who actually did the que setups and all the calibrations/certs. We liked getting everything through one source, our bean counters prefer to cut one check vs several.

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 10:42:03 AMAnd another question about Oris ColorTuner/Web software which says 'Web-based Soft- and Hardcopy Proofing in one Package'. The web part says:

"The web-based client/server architecture enables ORIS Color Tuner // Web to be integrated easily and quickly within your existing workflow, independent of your operating system or web browser. A comprehensive set of workflow tools — such as automatic preflighting, file compression, FTP send & receive, regular expressions, or email notification — is included to make ORIS Color Tuner // Web a powerful production workflow in its own right.".

So that is a soft proofing option where customers can view the preflight info as well as color accurate proof over the web. I assume the customers would need a color calibrated monitor?

They do have a softproof option, can't remember off the top of my head if that was an add-on or not, we never had it setup or ever even looked into the use of it, maybe andyfest can shed some more light on that subject, but they would have to have a calibrated monitor, I do remember them talking about that and they even told me at the time what specific monitors they prefer the clients use.
We didn't get into any of the soft proof stuff. The software probably has a lot more bells and whistles than we will ever use. There is a spot where techs can actually drag n drop 1 bits or pdfs remotely and it will queue them up. We did get the optional dot screen module so we have the option of printing con tone using pdfs or screened proofs using screened 1 bit tiffs. 

EmptyWords

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 12:03:41 PMWe already have Kodak Insite so I probably wouldn't be interested in theirs. I just didn't want to pay for something we won't use so if it is an addon that we don't have to get that would be great.

Good news about Fuji doing it. We already get plates from them so we do have an existing relationship with them.

Yea, I just can't remember if it was an option (xtra charge item) or if it was included in the full package, we bought the software and pretty much only use it for contract proofs for the pressmen to run to color and some picky clients, did not really see the need to introduce more of a headache (softproofing), with having clients w/ un-calibrated monitors complaining about color.

We had a great experience with both the CGS and Fuji crews during the pitch and also the install/setup, since you have a relationship w/ Fuji now, I would recommend hitting them up for more info and get them to send some quotes, you might also want to look into the GMG stuff to, it was between CGS and GMG for us and we really liked both setups.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

andyfest

Quote from: EmptyWords on March 23, 2017, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 12:03:41 PMWe already have Kodak Insite so I probably wouldn't be interested in theirs. I just didn't want to pay for something we won't use so if it is an addon that we don't have to get that would be great.

Good news about Fuji doing it. We already get plates from them so we do have an existing relationship with them.

Yea, I just can't remember if it was an option (xtra charge item) or if it was included in the full package, we bought the software and pretty much only use it for contract proofs for the pressmen to run to color and some picky clients, did not really see the need to introduce more of a headache (softproofing), with having clients w/ un-calibrated monitors complaining about color.

We had a great experience with both the CGS and Fuji crews during the pitch and also the install/setup, since you have a relationship w/ Fuji now, I would recommend hitting them up for more info and get them to send some quotes, you might also want to look into the GMG stuff to, it was between CGS and GMG for us and we really liked both setups.

Also Joe, Fuji did a deal with us and modified our plate pricing so that the system was paid for over a couple of years by our plate use. The suits here didn't want to cut a cheque, so Fuji did some creative financing for us. Worked out pretty well.

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on March 23, 2017, 12:34:02 PM
Quote from: EmptyWords on March 23, 2017, 11:53:54 AMWe didn't get into any of the soft proof stuff. The software probably has a lot more bells and whistles than we will ever use. There is a spot where techs can actually drag n drop 1 bits or pdfs remotely and it will queue them up. We did get the optional dot screen module so we have the option of printing con tone using pdfs or screened proofs using screened 1 bit tiffs.

Oh we might want top get the dot screen option. The one we used to have with EFI XF actually de-screened the one-bit tiffs and then made the contone proof from the de-screened files. Looked pretty good. And assured us we were proofing the exact same thing that went to plate.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Old topic but we find ourselves looking for a new proofer, 24 inch. We're getting rid of our HP (too many headaches) and want to replace it with an epson.

We want to retain the Fiery XF software to drive it, and want to get someone to set it up G7 like our presses.

Any experiences with the Epson 6000 or 7000 printers? We want the spectro option as well for calibration.

Thanks.

pspdfppdfxhd

Oh and to print that little verification strip thing that never seemed to work right on the HP.

andyfest

We got an Epson 9900 with an Oris proofing system installed by CGS. It's calibrated G7 and uses a built in X-Rite spectro for verification. We've had it for about 4 years and just replaced the spectro head for about $1500 a few weeks ago. Other than that it seems to work pretty well.

DigiCorn

Had an Epson 4000, 4800, 7800, 10600 and a 9800 in my past lives and liked all of them. Best and easiest proofers to maintain consistent and accurate color on, in my opinion. In all cases, driving Best /  EFI color.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway