Acrobat excessive RAM usage

Started by DPSprint, October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

New version of Acrobat out. Curious if the memory hogging issues have been fixed.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DPSprint

looks like the update hasnt made any difference here, I have the same version and its still happening

Joe

DPSprint

yup... Im just doing the workaround.. as usual ;-)

the frustrating thing is when I forget to check the activity monitor, and go to lunch... and come back to find everything red and paused... arrgggggrrrr

sgrhill

Quote from: Joe on October 04, 2017, 12:29:56 PMWhat version of Mac OS are you using? I am not seeing this with Acrobat DC on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.
The problem occurs in Yosemite, Sierra and High Sierra.

Joe

It isn't a problem that affects everyone. We have 10+ Macs running Acrobat DC on Sierra and High Sierra and aren't seeing it on any of them.

sgrhill

I know what you mean. Here 4 iMacs run fine with Acrobat. One doesn't.
Do you recommend another chat with Adobe? The last chat lasted 45 minutes ... with no solution.

Joe

I think at this point I would try wiping out one of the Macs with this issue and then re-installing a clean Mac OS system and a fresh install of Creative Cloud. I find it futile to talk to Adobe about anything. Hence myself success of getting them to change their shortcut key for a sticky note with output preview open. ( Hint: no success at all! )

Just a thought on the Macs that are doing this. If they have wifi access enabled try turning it off and rebooting and see if the Acrobat memory hogging still occurs.

sgrhill

Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2017, 09:30:42 AMI think at this point I would try wiping out one of the Macs with this issue and then re-installing a clean Mac OS system and a fresh install of Creative Cloud.
That's an idea. But it's a ton of work to re-installing all the other software, network settings, printer settings and other stuff. Normally I install a clean OS and use the Migrate Assistant to do that for me. But in that process I also migrate the Acrobat problem.

Is it an idea to uninstall all the Adobe stuff, clean all the remains withe the AdobeCleaningTool and make a Time Machine backup. After that I install a fresh OS from scratch and use the Migrate Assistant to migrate all the apps and settings. When that is finished I install all of the Adobe stuff.

Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2017, 09:30:42 AMJust a thought on the Macs that are doing this. If they have wifi access enabled try turning it off and rebooting and see if the Acrobat memory hogging still occurs.
That's the first thing I'm gonna check. ThnX for the tip!

Joe

Quote from: sgrhill on November 27, 2017, 01:34:02 PMIs it an idea to uninstall all the Adobe stuff, clean all the remains withe the AdobeCleaningTool and make a Time Machine backup. After that I install a fresh OS from scratch and use the Migrate Assistant to migrate all the apps and settings. When that is finished I install all of the Adobe stuff.

Well it is an idea but there is always the possibility of bringing the problem back if it is being caused by other software that comes back with the migration assistant. When you use the migration assistant to bring back users, apps, and settings it pretty much brings everything back from the old user account like application preferences and the data in Users/~/Library/Application Support. Any of those could be causing the problem. I'm just not convinced it is caused by Adobe software or I think everyone would be having the issue.

If you don't want to re-install everything fresh try creating a new admin account on the Mac and try running Acrobat from the new account. It will create all of the Adobe settings in the new user Library folder fresh. See if you still have the same problem in the new account.

sgrhill

ThnX Joe, I never thought of that!
I'll give it a try this afternoon. I'll keep you posted!

paulb

I have just started to have this issue on 1 of our 5 macs all running the latest version of Acrobat DC with Pitstop Pro version 13 update 2. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Pitstop and Acrobat but the issue still occurs, acrobat seems fine for a while and then the amount of memory it uses starts to climb until it cripples the mac. I find it very odd that this is only occurring on one mac and the other 4 done seem affected even though they are all running identical software. Since the last post on here was in November Im assuming that there is still no fix or no one has figured out what causes it? Please could anyone give me any advice as to what to do to workaround this problem. Thanks

Joe

Without reading back through this thread...has anyone with this problem tried creating a new admin account on their Mac and running Acrobat from the new account?

Tracy

Has anyone tried to reinstall the OS?
This is crazy hope it isn't contagious :laugh:

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on January 10, 2018, 07:35:10 AMWithout reading back through this thread...has anyone with this problem tried creating a new admin account on their Mac and running Acrobat from the new account?
not yet... something I may try now that Im back from holidays

and the workaround is to keep activity monitor open and then restart acrobat when it hits about 30gbs or gets to the orange!