Adobe CC replacements

Started by Farabomb, August 15, 2018, 07:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Since I'm no longer employed at false hopes and regret printing I no longer have access to any Adobe products. Well, legal access. I just bought a new laptop with windows 10 (sucks balls) and I would like to install something like CC for content creation. The laptop has a nifty wacom stylus that's pressure sensitive so that would be a bonus if the software supported that as well.

I basically need a replacement for PS, indy and illustrator. Are there any free options out there that can produce not utter poop files?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Inkscape = Illustrator

GIMP = Photoshop

Scribus = InDesign

All open source and free.

Not free but cheap...Affinity Photo (Photoshop) and Affinity Designer (Illustrator). Affinity Publisher (InDesign) has been in beta for 194 years now but they keep promising it is coming out this year. Of course they have been saying that for 194 years now.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Have you used affinity? I'd rather an all in one solution.

That being said I'm downloading the free options now.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I did the trial of Affinity Photo. Was very good. Never tried Designer as I rarely use Illustrator.

Possum

Don't knock your Windows setup - Affinity and some others are Windows only. Affinity's stuff seems to be received well. Haven't seen any negative response to it except for "it's not Photoshop." Well, duh.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on August 15, 2018, 09:14:41 AMDon't knock your Windows setup - Affinity and some others are Windows only. Affinity's stuff seems to be received well. Haven't seen any negative response to it except for "it's not Photoshop." Well, duh.

Affinity has Mac and Windows versions.

Possum

Quote from: Joe on August 15, 2018, 09:24:05 AM
Quote from: Possum on August 15, 2018, 09:14:41 AMDon't knock your Windows setup - Affinity and some others are Windows only. Affinity's stuff seems to be received well. Haven't seen any negative response to it except for "it's not Photoshop." Well, duh.

Affinity has Mac and Windows versions.
Good to know, they didn't last time I checked.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

You can still find legal, free, versions of CS2 from Adobe, and serial numbers to make them work. There are also
Spoiler
*other ways*
[close]
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I am aware of the other ways but I don't like how connected windows 10 is to the mothership.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 15, 2018, 10:17:19 AMYou can still find legal, free, versions of CS2 from Adobe, and serial numbers to make them work. There are also
Spoiler
*other ways*
[close]

About a week or two ago I went looking for the CS2 downloads and it appears they have been removed. At least where I looked they were. Technically Adobe didn't didn't release it as freeware to the masses. They made it so people that had bought it could still use it after they shut down the activation servers by putting out an activation key that works for everyone.

Tracy

If you know anyone with a student email address or you can become a student of something  :laugh:
The Adobe license is way cheaper

Joe

Will the University of B4Print work?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on August 15, 2018, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on August 15, 2018, 10:17:19 AMYou can still find legal, free, versions of CS2 from Adobe, and serial numbers to make them work. There are also
Spoiler
*other ways*
[close]

About a week or two ago I went looking for the CS2 downloads and it appears they have been removed. At least where I looked they were. Technically Adobe didn't didn't release it as freeware to the masses. They made it so people that had bought it could still use it after they shut down the activation servers by putting out an activation key that works for everyone.
I downloaded them a few months ago... I still have CS2 .exes on my NAS at home. I think I used a link found on B4Print for the download, and it downloads the files as install DVDs, so you need to extract them and install them like you're installing from DVD, as separate disc directories. I had to hunt Adobe forums a little bit, but I finally found a serial number that worked. Later, I deleted the install and replaced with CS5 from work. I only use it at home to do some flyers and projects and stuff for my kid's school.
Quote from: Joe on August 15, 2018, 12:04:10 PMWill the University of B4Print work?
Are we accredited, and am I an instructor?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Sure why not. Tell Adobe Joe sent you.

wonderings

The best replacement I have seen for Illustrator and Photoshop is from Affinity (Designer and Photo). Modern UI and works very fast. They are working on their own version of Indesign. Will be a decent package when it is done though I think it will be a very long time before they can even come close to catching up to Indesign. Would love to be proven wrong on that. I am wary of the free graphic programs, we have had many clients come in with stuff they did on their own in those various programs and they can be a nightmare. The Affinity stuff seems to be more common sense with the basics that we are all used to. I would look at them before anything else, for a couple hundred bucks you will have everything with no monthly fees.