86 Amazing Mac OS X Tips And Tricks

Started by Joe, September 14, 2016, 07:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

This should be great for me...

Oh wait, it's 86 tricks for OSX, not tricks for OSX from '86. That would be more helpful for me.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on September 14, 2016, 08:54:34 AMThis should be great for me...

Oh wait, it's 86 tricks for OSX, not tricks for OSX from '86. That would be more helpful for me.

You know what you should do? Go download the public beta for Mac OS Sierra and go from the bottom of the totem pole straight to to the top in one giant leap.

Farabomb

I'll wait till I get another job, then do that the day I leave.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Cool tips, is there a tip for when you save, you can tell it to always point to the desktop?
Or the current folder your working in?

Joe

To me saving to the Desktop really isn't a problem as it is just one click to get there in the File-->Save As dialog. See first attached image. Just click on Desktop in the far left column and you are there.

There is a list of recent locations you have saved as shown by clicking the drop down menu shown in the second attached image below.

If you really want the fancy way to save to certain folders you should buy Default Folders which is worth every penny of its $34.95 price tag.

Possum

Quote from: Farabomb on September 14, 2016, 09:20:06 AMI'll wait till I get another job, then do that the day I leave.
Much more subtle than peeing on a pallet of paper. Perhaps more damage in the long run, too, with machines that suddenly won't recognize the new system. Drivers? What's that? :dev2:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2016, 10:36:40 AMTo me saving to the Desktop really isn't a problem as it is just one click to get there in the File-->Save As dialog. See first attached image. Just click on Desktop in the far left column and you are there.

There is a list of recent locations you have saved as shown by clicking the drop down menu shown in the second attached image below.

If you really want the fancy way to save to certain folders you should buy Default Folders which is worth every penny of its $34.95 price tag.
Thanks Joe! :laugh:
Mine always points to the documents folder and I do have to click desktop every time
I do like that you can click on the recent folders, helps when your doing a batch

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 14, 2016, 11:10:43 AMThanks Joe! :laugh:
Mine always points to the documents folder and I do have to click desktop every time
I do like that you can click on the recent folders, helps when your doing a batch

Yeah I think a lot of software developers hard code that into their software because Apple thinks you are supposed to save ALL documents to the Documents folder. You can download the 30 day trial of Default Folder X from the link above.

born2print

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2016, 11:52:27 AM
Quote from: Tracy on September 14, 2016, 11:10:43 AMThanks Joe! :laugh:

Yeah I think a lot of software developers hard code that into their software because Apple thinks you are supposed to save ALL documents to the Documents folder. You can download the 30 day trial of Default Folder X from the link above.
They stole that mentality from Microsoft?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Possum

I miss the OS9 days, when you could set the programs to save to the last folder you were in, or when opening a file it goes back to that one. Saved a lot of fishing around. Even when it wasn't the right folder, it was usually closer than starting over.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

I keep all my important stuff in the trash can
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

:laugh:
you better use that tip up there to warn you before emptying :laugh:

DigiCorn

I'm surprised how many of these I already knew and use regularly.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway