insane - and i mean insane - illustrator file bloating - wtf?

Started by beermonster, October 02, 2013, 10:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

:drunk3:

get this - some small cartons that started life as around 50meg max have bloated a little. last count 2.5GIG!

complex masking in them but there's no "sane" reason for this.

now we have a working theory it's to do with colour books but its very long winded and i dont have time

point me to a couple of reasons (one will do - desperate) as to how illustrator has managed to fcuk these relatively simple-ish files so badly

i know i know ya never got this in freehand....... :shoots_self:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

saved as pdf with maintain Illy edibility?
Huge images/bitmaps embedded?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

what Born said...
images imbedded as opposed to linked?
gradient mesh in the file?
loads of high res shadows?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Grimace

Check the raster setting to make sure it hasn't been changed to some silly high dpi number. That is providing you have images that are being rasterized.

born2print

perhaps it was downsaved?
I've seen where I can bloat the bejeebus out of an Illy file if I were to save down to v8 for instance.
I've also seen that the bloat can be undone sometimes by saving as pdf, then open in Acrobat and save again, then back to Illy
( :shoots_self:)

beermonster

cheers folks

yeah this is what i said to the guys that it was probably backsaved - no shadows and raster is at 300. there is complex masking in it - we ripped it apart yesterday

just opening it typing ONE carachter, outlining it and saving with NO pdf compatibility - from 20 meg to 115 meg. :lmao:

am now convinced (almost) its a cs6-cs5 issue - colour books

so we gotta upgrade to cs6

when i say opening it - we started from scratch with supplied file - to see the bloating happen - it was fun :shoots_self:

anyone had issues with packedge/esko plug ins and cs6?

beermonster

born - nice trick if i could open the damm file i'd try that :shoots_self:

its now the "in" joke that i fcucked the files and now by law must "pay" for it by being the only one who edits those files :lmao: :drunk3:

andyfest

Quote from: beermonster on October 04, 2013, 01:28:58 AMcheers folks

yeah this is what i said to the guys that it was probably backsaved - no shadows and raster is at 300. there is complex masking in it - we ripped it apart yesterday

just opening it typing ONE carachter, outlining it and saving with NO pdf compatibility - from 20 meg to 115 meg. :lmao:

am now convinced (almost) its a cs6-cs5 issue - colour books

so we gotta upgrade to cs6

when i say opening it - we started from scratch with supplied file - to see the bloating happen - it was fun :shoots_self:

anyone had issues with packedge/esko plug ins and cs6?

We're using Esko's Nexus "classic" & pdf RIP w CS5 & CS6 with no issues yet. Almost sounds like you have a bunch of linked images (perhaps hidden?) that are embedding during the save. You could try the old Object > Show All to see if there is some hidden shit in there. One of the first things I do when preflighting custy files nowadays.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

born2print

Quote from: beermonster on October 04, 2013, 01:31:15 AMborn - nice trick if i could open the damm file i'd try that :shoots_self:

its now the "in" joke that i fcucked the files and now by law must "pay" for it by being the only one who edits those files :lmao: :drunk3:
Victim of your success!   :grin: