Company Size Curiosity

Started by Kerry, February 01, 2015, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Medium-sized offset shop. 30ish employees. 

Mercury News Web, 36", 22.75" cutoff, 2-4high units and 6 on the floor.
Hantscho Heatset Web, 38", 23.563" cutoff, 9 units.
Heid Speedmaster 20x28, 4 color.
Heid SORKZ 2 color, 19x25.

Prepress (just me and my masheens), bindery, direct-mail.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Syphon

Small family owned commercial printer with 10 employees...for now. Boss wants to streamline the shop  (meaning do more with few employees).
Two five color presses and two small presses.
One color digital press
One black and white digital press
One million jobs a day...well it feels like it.

And way underpaid for all the crap I have to deal with!
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

David

Quote from: Syphon on February 05, 2015, 07:31:44 PMAnd way underpaid for all the crap I have to deal with!

for sure!!!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

dubstep

2 man quick print shop stuck in the 90s

Kerry

Quote from: dubstep on February 06, 2015, 10:30:42 AM2 man quick print shop stuck in the 90s

heehee.
One of the 'managing partners' aka the cousin, at my shop has been doing his best to bring us into this decade with better online ordering, job tracking, solid state HD's and dual monitors. However, he has yet to come up with a solid plan on how to ensure all the employees actually READ and follow the job tickets.  (Sadly, the owner is the worst of the bunch when it comes to that.)
Pet Peeve: Customer emails in a 72dpi jpg, puts "250 copies" in the subject line and gives NO other information. Customer calls 3 hours later wondering if job is complete.   >.<

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Syphon

Job Tickets are those things I keep looking for after they walked away on their own two feet.
Everyday they are walking away.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Farabomb

Yeah, I normally see job tickets when they are hanging plates.

Oh, it's on the wrong size sheet? No shit. Maybe if I had the info instead of guessing it would be done correctly.

Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it again.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Down to two small presses and a digital "press" since all our big jobs went to Mexico. The big press later went to some other country, also.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

G_Town

We get job tickets on every job we produce, of course, we typically get the job 4 hours before it goes to press and the job tickets are typically incorrect. :banana:

I commented perhaps the planners should work the weekends now and then so everything isn't last minute. They looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. :shoots_self:

beermonster

i'm told we are the 6th largest print packaging company in the world. it sucks

at our 2 plants we have 1 komori 40 inch, a kba VLF, x3 gallus webs, x2 cut/crease & a shit loada finishing stuff i know nothing about

as for the rest of the "group" - well one plant has 10 presses that i know of but i have no idea what the hell the rest of this monster does. and i'm past caring mostly :drunk3:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world