Type to a path - but the type is in outlines?

Started by Repro Man, May 09, 2008, 10:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repro Man

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble doing something I thought would be simple!

Client has supplied a logo to print onto a disc. The logo is simply one word in outlines. The font looks like swiss 911 but I don't have this font.

I've said, 'yeah no probs, I'll put your disc design together as you're incapable of putting a logo onto a 118mm square layout.'.

But now the client has said they want their logo text to go around the edge of the disc in a circular fashion.

If this were just text I would have no problem drawing a circle and then 'typing to a path' to get perfect results.

But this isn't text. Its a word made up of twelve vector shapes, one for each letter.

Is there a way of making objects follow a circular path in Illy? They would need to rotate correctly as text on a path would.

I said I could do this in half an hour or less. It's now home-time and I've done nothing! Ooops...

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Stoo
F*@k it!! I'll do it for free then!! Bloody salesmen...

gnubler

Do you have InDesign? You can copy/paste objects onto a path - draw a circle, make it a text path, then paste the logo type objects one by one onto the path. Maybe Illy can do the same thing.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

almaink

Or insert the outlined text as an inline graphic.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

beermonster

or select the text and use the warp>arc filter
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beermonster

obviously i meant shapes - not text :embarrassed:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Repro Man

Thanks for your help guys!

I used Pointy's solution for now. It still warps the objets slightly but if you fiddle with the variables you can minimise the distortion enough so that the logo is recognisable. It's also quite a lot of fun playing around with custom brushes as paths. Inspired a few design ideas there!

I will look at the InDesign option from Gnubler as this actually sounds more precisely like what I needed to do. It just so happened that it was quicker for me to use Illy on this occasion. And I only charged them for half an hour.

(Does anyone know if Gnubler's solution can be done in Illy?)

almaink, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'insert the outlined text as an inline graphic'? Sounds good but I have no idea how to do it!

Beermonster, unfortunately the Arc filter warps the graphic too much. That was the first thing I had tried and wasn't happy with the results.

Anyway. First draft proof went to the client this morning so I await whatever ridiculous feedback should be coming my way...

Thanks again!

almaink

This will give you an idea of how to do it. Check page 7 of the PDF. It would take a while tho, because you'd need to select and copy each letter separately to insert on the path. I think you'd also have to have your preferences in Indy set to paste as PDF. This is for Indy but it should also work in Illy.
http://printersquote.com/tutorials/indesign/Path_Type.pdf
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

almaink

Custom brushes don't always rip correctly so watch it.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Repro Man

Quote from: almaink on May 12, 2008, 06:58:59 AMCustom brushes don't always rip correctly so watch it.

No problem. I'll expand it all to nice safe vectors and do the usual pre-press stuff to ensure it prints nicely...

Cheers y'all!

Repro Man

Hah!

Just as I thought.

The client's client has pointed out that their logo has to be unchanged! Branding and that.

Back to the artboard.

Still. Got to charge him for some completely pointless work...

Thanks again guys!

Repro Man

Ah, you see... I was supplied with the correct logo in the first place. It was our client who requested that it be made to curve around the disc. Obviously having not asked their client what they actually wanted...

Bloody clients, eh...

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Repro Man on May 15, 2008, 06:36:43 AMAh, you see... I was supplied with the correct logo in the first place. It was our client who requested that it be made to curve around the disc. Obviously having not asked their client what they actually wanted...

Bloody clients, eh...

Hey Repro, is this a file you would be comfortable posting? I wouldn't mind at all trying a crack at it if you are having trouble. Sometimes the solutions to a problem come a lot easier to me when I can physically "see" the challenge. If not cool, I totally understand.
Member #285 - Civilian