Why is Illustrator saving a copy of my files with a "-01" before the ".eps"?

Started by Fontaholic, September 17, 2013, 07:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

A couple months ago, my Adobe Illustrator CS4 started doing something I'd never seen it do before -- whenever I would save a file (even if I was using the "Save As" command), a copy of the file appears in the same folder with a "-01" added to the file name before the ".eps" extension.

Anybody know why Illustrator is doing this, and how I can persuade the program to stop doing this??  :huh:

I mean, it's hardly the end of the world or anything, but it gets annoying, and I have enough annoyances to deal with as it is...

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

StudioMonkey

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Possum

I don't know about that one, but my Illustrator CS5 started expanding the layer list to expose all sublayers when I open a document, and just started doing that a few months ago. It's pesty to keep closing them to get to the main layer I want. My Acrobat started showing a popup asking for internet access lately, too. It blinks on and off a few times so fast I hardly have time to click anything, but I notice if I don't, some things like Preflight don't work right.

I think all the Adobe programs are displaying symptoms of schizoid.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DCurry

Could it be that you have more than one page defined in the Illy file?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Fontaholic

Quote from: StudioMonkey on September 17, 2013, 07:24:36 AMSounds like Auto Save is on

And how do I disable that?

I looked all through the Preferences and didn't see anything relating to Auto Save...  :huh:

Joe

Temporary file? Is it still there when you close it? I know Indy creates a temporary file and if for some reason you crash and then restart Indy it will open the temp file and you will have all of the changes still there that you made since your last save. Not sure if Illy does that though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Fontaholic on September 17, 2013, 07:42:55 AM
Quote from: StudioMonkey on September 17, 2013, 07:24:36 AMSounds like Auto Save is on

And how do I disable that?

I looked all through the Preferences and didn't see anything relating to Auto Save...  :huh:

Turns out there is no Auto Save in Illustrator :- http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1002735

My bad.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: Fontaholic on September 17, 2013, 07:19:54 AMI have enough annoyances to deal with as it is...

You mean like prepress?

I've seen this also and I think it's some weird ghosty autosave thing, like Indy's temp file, only it doesn't go away. Are you ending up with 2 files and are the file sizes identical between the orig and the "-01" file?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

No no no no no...

It does the -01 because of this (screenshot):

uncheck the box
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

It's that "Use Artboards" button. If you check it, it numbers the EPS according to which artboard you are saving.

If you don't use this, the file will crop to the art sometimes when viewing or importing it into certain apps. Just a heads up.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.