Illustrator 2015.3.1 bug

Started by Grimace, September 01, 2016, 09:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimace

Here is what I am getting:

Start with the rectangle tool and create a square 1" x 1" (any size will work)
Sign a stroke of 1pt (again whatever weight you want) aligned to center.
Now look at the Transform Panel and see that the size indicated is off, in this case 1.0139 x 1.0139 - it includes the stroke weight in the dimension.

This sucks! If, like me, you use the Transform Panel to resize things, the final object is not true to the size typed in.
This is new to this particular version, I did a check with the older version. Bug reported to Adobe this morning.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

It's not a bug. In actuality, Adobe "fixed" the problem. You are assigning a stroke with a value of one point to a box set to 1" x 1" or whatever, BUT you are setting the stroke to center on line in the transform palette. Logic would say, because you are adding a stroke that the 1 x 1 box would need to be a half point larger. Try setting the stoke to "inside" and it will be fine.
Member #285 - Civilian

Pedro J

Uncheck in preferences / general / use preview bounds

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 01, 2016, 10:16:03 AMIt's not a bug. In actuality, Adobe "fixed" the problem. You are assigning a stroke with a value of one point to a box set to 1" x 1" or whatever, BUT you are setting the stroke to center on line in the transform palette. Logic would say, because you are adding a stroke that the 1 x 1 box would need to be a half point larger. Try setting the stoke to "inside" and it will be fine.

Winner.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Grimace

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 01, 2016, 10:16:03 AMIt's not a bug. In actuality, Adobe "fixed" the problem. You are assigning a stroke with a value of one point to a box set to 1" x 1" or whatever, BUT you are setting the stroke to center on line in the transform palette. Logic would say, because you are adding a stroke that the 1 x 1 box would need to be a half point larger. Try setting the stoke to "inside" and it will be fine.
Yeah, i know that is the way InDesign works, but up until now illy has not. I'm of the opinion that if i use the rectangle tool to create a 1 x 1 square and it comes out as such, i should be able to type .5 x .5 into the Transform dialog and expect the same behavior.
I am resizing the object, the stroke is an "add-on" that will vary in weight depending upon what kinda of effect i want. the stroke should not account for the over all size. If I choose to, i can expand the stroke later to have it included as an object.
I also like to be able to over print the stroke for a quick trap. This "fix" wasn't announced in the release notes, for me it's a big hassle.

Grimace

Quote from: Pedro J on September 01, 2016, 10:42:06 AMUncheck in preferences / general / use preview bounds
Pedro, i love you.
I actually kinda looked at the settings to see if I had something turned on, that didn't stand out to me. So much for porting over settings!
So I'm a dope. Glad it was that and not something i would to have waiting 6 months for!

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Grimace on September 01, 2016, 10:50:29 AM
Yeah, i know that is the way InDesign works, but up until now illy has not. I'm of the opinion that if i use the rectangle tool to create a 1 x 1 square and it comes out as such, i should be able to type .5 x .5 into the Transform dialog and expect the same behavior.
I am resizing the object, the stroke is an "add-on" that will vary in weight depending upon what kinda of effect i want. the stroke should not account for the over all size. If I choose to, i can expand the stroke later to have it included as an object.
I also like to be able to over print the stroke for a quick trap. This "fix" wasn't announced in the release notes, for me it's a big hassle.

I understand what you are saying, but really, it was more of a problem for me the way it "used to be." If I want to emulate how Illustrator was, I can do what Pedro suggested, OR I can do it in the transform palette. The way it is now, is much more customizable. So again, not really a bug, you just have to AGAIN, deal with Adobe changing something. Anyway, glad you got it "fixed". Nothing I hate more than getting used to something, and having to change my MO for an upgrade change.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

I'm seeing a bug in the new illy, I command S to save and when I go to close it asks me do I want to save.
This is new to me, I think it's because it's a different version but it still should save over.

This is annoying :laugh:

hope there is a pref for this!

Ear

Damn I miss the daily DCS. You're good at explaining stuff. :kona:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Grimace

Quote from: Tracy on September 01, 2016, 12:29:23 PMI'm seeing a bug in the new illy, I command S to save and when I go to close it asks me do I want to save.
This is new to me, I think it's because it's a different version but it still should save over.

This is annoying :laugh:

hope there is a pref for this!
I think I saw this recently addressed on here, Command S+W to save and close at same time.
I think any time the slightest action is taken, like locking a layer, it will ask if you want to save changes.

Grimace

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 01, 2016, 11:06:23 AM
Quote from: Grimace on September 01, 2016, 10:50:29 AM

I understand what you are saying, but really, it was more of a problem for me the way it "used to be." If I want to emulate how Illustrator was, I can do what Pedro suggested, OR I can do it in the transform palette. The way it is now, is much more customizable. So again, not really a bug, you just have to AGAIN, deal with Adobe changing something. Anyway, glad you got it "fixed". Nothing I hate more than getting used to something, and having to change my MO for an upgrade change.

This setting is completely new to me, but as it turns out, I just went back to see, and this has been an available feature since at least CS5.

DCurry

If you get your dimensions from the Control bar at the top instead of the Transform panel it always shows the actual unstroked dimensions, no matter where your stroke is aligned.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!