Problems printing from Acrobat 8 Professional on and Intel Mac

Started by clahnen, March 27, 2008, 07:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clahnen

We have been experiencing problems printing out of Acrobat 8 Professional to our Xinet Rip. I can print to our ORIS rip fine and to the laserwriter in the hall just fine, but When we print to a Xinet spooler the job acts like it will print and just vanishes into thin air. Has anyone heard of any problems with Acrobat 8 and an Intel Mac? We can print just fine using Acrobat 8 on a non Intel Mac so it seems like there is some connection between an Intel Mac + Acrobat 8 + Xinet.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Have you checked your print Queue? They had to go somewhere.
Member #285 - Civilian

clahnen

I just opened the print Que and watched it as soon as I hit print and nothing shows up at all. No error message or nothing. If it would at least error out, I could see the log.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't know man, when I see problems like this, it seems more software than hardware. So you are saying the exact same file prints on Non-Intels? If the file prints to all these other peripherals, than maybe you have some settings out of whack. Have you tried a different version of Acrobat? Have you tried placing the PDF in say, InDesign and tried that? Let's try to eliminate all the possibilities before blaming the Intel, even though it very well could be the problem.
Member #285 - Civilian

clahnen

I just tried, and I am able to place the PDF into Indesign and print that way. I don't have an older version of Acrobat on my MAC, but I can get one installed in a day or so. I know we have had this same problem on multiple Intel MAC's within our area, so it's not localized to one machine.

ninjaPB_43

what version of Acrobat 8 are you at..  are you up to date?
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

different problem, though similar symptoms is why I ask..

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=4506

"Acrobat 8.1 does not have full support for Mac OSX10.5. You'll need the update to Acrobat (8.1.2) for full support, which is currently due out in late January 2008."
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

clahnen

DigitalCrapShoveler

Joe, I think runs an Intel with Leopard. He would definitely be the guy to talk to... Joe?
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

try to run the Acrobat, "Repair Acrobat Installation," under the Help menu..

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 27, 2008, 09:43:13 AMJoe, I think runs an Intel with Leopard. He would definitely be the guy to talk to... Joe?

Yeah, I am running Leapard and Acrobat 8 and I don't have any problem printing from Acrobat 8 but I don't have a Xinet Rip. Have you checked with Xinet for an Intel based Leopard compatible driver. Although if it prints from InDesign you would not think that was it but I've seen stranger things than that in my day. The next thing I'd try is to delete that printer and then re-install it. If that doesn't work I think my next step would be to uninstall Acrobat and Re-install it. If you try all of that and none of it works let us know and we'll try to come up with something else.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 27, 2008, 10:45:53 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 27, 2008, 09:43:13 AMJoe, I think runs an Intel with Leopard. He would definitely be the guy to talk to... Joe?

Yeah, I am running Leapard and Acrobat 8 and I don't have any problem printing from Acrobat 8 but I don't have a Xinet Rip. Have you checked with Xinet for an Intel based Leopard compatible driver. Although if it prints from InDesign you would not think that was it but I've seen stranger things than that in my day. The next thing I'd try is to delete that printer and then re-install it. If that doesn't work I think my next step would be to uninstall Acrobat and Re-install it. If you try all of that and none of it works let us know and we'll try to come up with something else.

Told ya! :P
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe  on March 27, 2008, 10:45:53 AMThe next thing I'd try is to delete that printer and then re-install it.

I thought about mentioning that but he said it would print from Indesign..  but like you said, seen stranger things..   I think it boils down to either Xinet's Intel based driver(which like you said, print from Indesign), or Acrobat.  Think trashing the Acro 8 prefs might help?  What about running a fix permissions in disk utility?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 27, 2008, 10:49:31 AM
Quote from: Joe  on March 27, 2008, 10:45:53 AMThe next thing I'd try is to delete that printer and then re-install it.

I thought about mentioning that but he said it would print from Indesign..  but like you said, seen stranger things..   I think it boils down to either Xinet's Intel based driver(which like you said, print from Indesign), or Acrobat.  Think trashing the Acro 8 prefs might help?  What about running a fix permissions in disk utility?

Can't hurt. (famous last words) :grin:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.