Acrobat 8 [with caution]

Started by frailer, June 23, 2008, 03:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Have been avoiding, where possible using it. Got a large poster today. Would normally just pre-flight it in Acro 7, take into Dyna, and off to the RIP.
When I opened in 7, got a warnimg message: "later version etc..." Thought I'd do the right thing and open in 8. [am at home and forgot to check the PDF creator before leaving for home...shall post tomorrow]. My guess either CS3 Indy Export or Distilled from 8.
Am obviously gonna have to pull my finger out and come to grips with some of its features. Did a CMYK pre-flight and "fix", thingy. OK, I'll have a good look after it prints from Dyna, thinks me. Ended up "hanging" Dyna; 2 Force Quits there.
Opened in 7>Save As. Into Dyna again. No problem. It didn't have any fancy schmancy transparency in it...pretty straightforward.

My questions. How many of you guys are in the habit of doing this to get stuff to "work"? How risky is it?...transparency stuff-ups being one obvious one.
I'm not used to Acrobat "fixing" stuff. Am gonna have to familiarise with that stuff. And the Dyna dummy-spit? Looks like I've gotta price v.5.

Mutter, mutter...upgrade. upgrade.    :angry:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

almaink

I've yet to get an Acrobat 8 PDF here. With 9 coming out real soon tho I'm sure it's just a matter of time. You can set the preferences in pre-fight to just show the errors and not fix them automatically. BTW from what I've seen so far, version 9 seems way faster than any earlier version, and the Prepress tools seem better too even on a G4 DP800 running Tiger with 1.12 gigs Ram.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

frailer

Look, I know Acro 8 is gonna be a brief memory for most people soon; but I had cause to use it today in order to "extract" a PhSh file or two out of a PDF. It was a CS3 PDF, and though I opened it in 7 and was willing to do the basics there, it would not allow the PhSh image to open in PhSh CS3. I wanted to use that nifty Black and White feature of CS3 PhSh where you can pre-adjust a colour to grayscale conversion.

OK, my [quick] question is...what's with the chequered background in the white page? I studiously ignored prior discussion on this, so am now reaping the reward.   :rolleyes:   Something I can change so I can actually read the type?    :huh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on August 21, 2008, 06:23:14 AMLook, I know Acro 8 is gonna be a brief memory for most people soon; but I had cause to use it today in order to "extract" a PhSh file or two out of a PDF. It was a CS3 PDF, and though I opened it in 7 and was willing to do the basics there, it would not allow the PhSh image to open in PhSh CS3. I wanted to use that nifty Black and White feature of CS3 PhSh where you can pre-adjust a colour to grayscale conversion.

OK, my [quick] question is...what's with the chequered background in the white page? I studiously ignored prior discussion on this, so am now reaping the reward.   :rolleyes:   Something I can change so I can actually read the type?    :huh:

Unflattened layer, or transparent layer. Make a new layer, put it at the botton of the stacking order and fill it with white. Delete it when your done.

You can also go into your ps prefs, under Transparency and Gamut, and change the pattern to whatever you wish.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Or you can just flatten it under the layers menu (flatten image)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Use the PDF Optimizer to change the PDF version. You don't have to flatten the transparency if you stay with Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) or above. But the PDF Optimizer can handle all of that for you in one easy and convenient place.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Thanks.... :embarrassed:   Shoulda paid attention; was flickin' rubber bands at the back of the class when that lesson was on.    :naughty:

hotmetal

Quote from: mattbeals on August 21, 2008, 12:03:02 PMUse the PDF Optimizer to change the PDF version. You don't have to flatten the transparency if you stay with Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) or above. But the PDF Optimizer can handle all of that for you in one easy and convenient place.

That's one of the clues I've been searching for, thanks Matt!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.