Acrobat and Pitstop help needed!

Started by kocho, August 26, 2008, 12:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kocho

Hi all,

At work we are running Acrobat 6.0.1 Pro with Pitstop 1.0.117. We are about to upgrade to CS3 and with it is Acrobat 8.1.2 Pro. What I need to know is will I need to upgrade the Pitstop as well, or does the PDF preflight in the new acrobat cover all the needs of the old pitstop?

Mostly what I need to know is: at the moment in pitstop I can click on an image in the PDF and find out its DPI, colour etc, or click on a font and find out if its embedded etc, and I can easily change it if it is wrong. Can I do this in Acrobat 8 alone?

I think all the rest would be covered in the new Acrobat (RBG or CMYK, DPI of photos, fonts) but if you could let me know of any major differences that would be great. We are on Macs.

Cheers,

Kirsty

kocho

whoops, the pitstop version we are on is 6.0.1.0, sorry

frailer

Acrobat 8 is looking increasingly like a ramshackle way-station on the journey between 7 & 9. If they'd filled our tanks properly, we wouldn't have had to stop...   :evil:
I've just today asked for pricing from our Mac/software supplier on the upgrade dollars from 8, [which we got, as you say, with CS3], and 9 Pro.

9 has a lot of stuff you could only do in PitStop before. But I think there'll still be some stuff you need PSP for, for the time being, anyway.
IMO, giants like Adobe tend to "absorb" the capabilities of plug-ins like PSP. It's hard-wired in, I think... :tongue:

TBH, I've managed to avoid using 8, pretty much, and will be happy to slide over to 9. There'll be more input for you on this, but I'd set my sights on a 9 upgrade once you have CS3, then do an assessment of what you might need in the way of PSP. Most people are still feeling their way through this, I think.   :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

No.

The info you're looking for can for the most part be revealed by preflighting in Acrobat. But not to the same level of "friendlyness" as clicking on an object and getting its properties.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Definitely get Acrobat 9 and run as fast as you can away from Acrobat 8. Here is a review I wrote after testing Acrobat 9:

Acrobat 9 is out.

I'd still get the upgrade to Pitstop though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kocho

Cheers for the help guys, much appreciated. We have decided to go with Acrobat 9 and Pitstop.