stand alone pdf maker for pc's

Started by beermonster, January 08, 2009, 03:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

hi all
 :offtopic:  (just thought i'd get Hector in here before anyone else)

here's a silly question. I need a standalone piece of (free) software that we can create pdf's from for pc's. Now what we do NOT want is the standard stuff you install as a PRINTER and print to pdf?
why? well its mainly for cad, who work with shuttleworth MIS. Now the cad guy works from home 3 days a week, and logs on. Sure - we have pdf creator as a "printer" but it does not work when connected to the network, and the MIS does not like it at all.
my solution> export from cad>drag/drop onto standalone pdf maker>nice shiny pdf made.
the pdf's are of imposition layouts and one up basic designs from guestimating dept. we are looking at having them as pdf's rather than hard copies which get lost etc
so - collective geniuses - waddya think?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jezza

That's a bit of a tall order I think beer, there are free pdf makers, but mainly for office type stuff... I've had a quick look here

http://www.planetpdf.com/

but if you've more time you might find something suitable. Best of luck
one sick prepress mofo

jezza

one sick prepress mofo

beermonster

cheers mate
while i'm checking that - seems the issue with installing a pdf printer onto the server is that most are not "microsoft approved" and the server will not accept them as a printer.
i have found something called bullzip pdf printer, which appears to be microshaft approved - so we'll have a bash at that as well
thanks again
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world