News:

Main Menu

Passworded PDF

Started by Chelle, January 19, 2009, 04:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelle

I swear I saw this here somewhere, but for the life of me can't remember: anyone know how to open a PDF that has a password on it? :huh:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Chelle on January 19, 2009, 04:43:31 PMI swear I saw this here somewhere, but for the life of me can't remember: anyone know how to open a PDF that has a password on it? :huh:

Yes, it's been brought up. You have Colorsync Utility in your /Apps/Utilities folder, you can open the PDF in it, and  resave out, password bye-bye. I don't believe it works in Leopard, V10.5, but it does work in V10.4.
Member #285 - Civilian

Chelle

Yup - you're right. The shiny new iMac with 10.5 won't let me re-save. Shoot. Oh, well. Thanks, DCS!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Chelle on January 19, 2009, 04:57:30 PMYup - you're right. The shiny new iMac with 10.5 won't let me re-save. Shoot. Oh, well. Thanks, DCS!

E-mail it to me, I will unlock it and fire it back.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Put it on YouSendIt and PM me the link... I am leaving, but can do it at home later.
Member #285 - Civilian

Chelle

I didn't see this until I got home. It's no big deal - just thought if I could still do it on the new Mac I would. It's just an image for a catalog. I can "fix" it in PS and it'll be just fine for what we need it for. But thank you! :grin:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Just trying to keep the wheels rolling... Carry on. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I tried some testing on the colorsync utility. It resides in the "Applications:Utilities" folder on both OS X 10.4 and 10.5. The one in 10.5 does not give you the option to Save As. When booted into Leopard you cannot run the OS 10.4 version of Colorsync. You have to boot into Tiger and run it from there and then it will let you do the "Save As" and get rid of the security. The only other options I could find for unlocking security enhanced PDF files is not free but they are not terribly expensive either. The best option would be to tell the dufus creating them to stop using it IF they would like to get their job printed.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

try this chelle :grin:
http://pdfkey.com/

or chuck pdf into indy - pdf out again - shiney new will play nicely pdf :ninja:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Chelle

Thanks, guys. It's a pdf from someone else that I want to mess with. :evil:

Stiv

Quote from: Chelle on January 20, 2009, 05:41:50 AMThanks, guys. It's a pdf from someone else that I want to mess with. :evil:

Bwaahaaa. (evil laugh) :evil:

ratintrap

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 19, 2009, 04:51:24 PM
Quote from: Chelle on January 19, 2009, 04:43:31 PMI swear I saw this here somewhere, but for the life of me can't remember: anyone know how to open a PDF that has a password on it? :huh:

Yes, it's been brought up. You have Colorsync Utility in your /Apps/Utilities folder, you can open the PDF in it, and  resave out, password bye-bye. I don't believe it works in Leopard, V10.5, but it does work in V10.4.

Is there any special way of opening the PDF with the Colorsync Utility? I just got a PDF today that I can't place because I get an error that says that the PDF has security settings that won't allow it to be placed. I tried to open it with Colorsync and it says can't open file.

I can't even open it with Photoshop to rasterize it. Of course the person who sent it is on the phone with our sales person and wants her to refer to it.

I can open it with Acrobat 9 but the computer I have 9 loaded on has been having trouble working correctly on our network so I can't just print it out of Acrobat 9.
 :blowup:

-Rat

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ratintrap on January 21, 2009, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 19, 2009, 04:51:24 PM

Is there any special way of opening the PDF with the Colorsync Utility? I just got a PDF today that I can't place because I get an error that says that the PDF has security settings that won't allow it to be placed. I tried to open it with Colorsync and it says can't open file.

I can't even open it with Photoshop to rasterize it. Of course the person who sent it is on the phone with our sales person and wants her to refer to it.

I can open it with Acrobat 9 but the computer I have 9 loaded on has been having trouble working correctly on our network so I can't just print it out of Acrobat 9.

-Rat

No special way, just Open PDF, do a Save As... done. You have somthing else going on.
Member #285 - Civilian

ratintrap

I was able to save the PDF as an eps and place that to get it printed out so our salesperson had something to refer to.

I looked at the security settings for the PDF in Acrobat 9 and it didn't look like it had any restrictive settings. I suppose quite a bit of my trouble is because we are using outdated layout applications.

I'm pretty sure that I can save the PDF as Post Script and re-distill to get a usable PDF so I think I'm out of the woods on this one.

-Rat

Joe

Rat, there is a whole host of things that can be in a newer PDF (transparency, form data, etc...) that will make PageMaker puke. When PageMaker can't figure out what it is, it throws up the generic security warning just because it doesn't really know what the problem is.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.