Gnarly PDFs with dots & lines

Started by gnubler, September 24, 2008, 10:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

It's back. As I mentioned in the last post we replaced the naughty PC and everything was fine...until that brand new computer totally died. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it because I didn't want to get involved, but I know the original computer came back with a fresh install of Indy. Everything has been fine since I posted last September, then suddenly last night those gnarly dots & lines started again. This is isolated to just one computer and I know it's a font problem. I might "get involved" later this afternoon.

Hold me.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Can you select the dots & lines with the text tool. If so what font does it say it is?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Ok, I've done some experimenting with this. On the naughty computer I created a new Indy document and filled a page with text using plain old Arial. I exported this as a PDF and it appears fine in Acrobat. I then placed that PDF in the same document and its preview was all dots & lines, even with high quality display selected. Made a second PDF and it's bad in Acrobat - all the type is dots and lines. It's Arial, I can select it like text, but it's all gnarly.

THEN I did this same experiment on my PC with the same files and the same thing happened - the PDF I placed had the dots & lines preview...BUT when I selected high quality preview it displayed fine. Made the second PDF and it's fine.

My head is slightly spinning. It's a font issue, but what? Here's a screenshot of my test document created on the naughty computer - you can see the page of text I made a PDF of, then on the pasteboard is that PDF placed in the document, all wonky.

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 22, 2009, 11:05:49 AMCan you select the dots & lines with the text tool. If so what font does it say it is?

Yes, it can be selected like text. It's Arial. I get the same result with any font.

almaink

Is the font subset or a full embed in the PDF? Looks like conflicting font info to me.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Have you checked the PDF export options on the naughty computer to make sure all of the settings match your settings? Normally I'd say to not use Arial since it's a crap MS font but if it's doing it with all fonts that won't help. If the new PC was working fine before it died then I have to say it's most likely an XP problem on the naughty PC. You could try making a boot XP CD of a utility called Bart's PE, Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD, though it's not a trivial undertaking. Once booted off of Bart's PE CD you could copy a fresh set of XP required fonts over to your naughty PC and see if that fixes it. Probably would be just as easy to wipe out that PC and start over from scratch though.

gnubler

Quote from: almaink on April 22, 2009, 12:51:42 PMIs the font subset or a full embed in the PDF? Looks like conflicting font info to me.

Same PDF settings as I posted on page 1.

QuoteSubset Fonts Below: 100%

Should I use a different value there?

I know Arial is crap, but it's used in the classified section of my newspaper and I'm not involved in that. We all have the same version of Arial, but only one computer has the PDF/font issue.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 22, 2009, 01:14:21 PM
Quote from: almaink on April 22, 2009, 12:51:42 PMIs the font subset or a full embed in the PDF? Looks like conflicting font info to me.

Same PDF settings as I posted on page 1.

QuoteSubset Fonts Below: 100%

Should I use a different value there?

I know Arial is crap, but it's used in the classified section of my newspaper and I'm not involved in that. We all have the same version of Arial, but only one computer has the PDF/font issue.

Try zero instead of 100% and it should fully embed the font instead of subsetting it. Also what happens if you print to PS out of CS and make the PDF with Distiller?

born2print

Gnubler, this seems very similar to my weird issue
https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=3303.0
but ours seems procedure specific, not workstation specific
 :huh:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 22, 2009, 01:19:59 PMTry zero instead of 100% and it should fully embed the font instead of subsetting it. Also what happens if you print to PS out of CS and make the PDF with Distiller?

My boss doesn't want to Distill.

I'm actually going to get back to this tomorrow - I can't work on it right now. My boss is gone tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to get on her computer and try some other suggestions. Thanks all for the help so far.