Screw you Adobe.

Started by Joe, March 30, 2009, 09:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Type

I suspect that the problem is checking for a legitimate copy of Acrobat Pro.

This problem would be easily solved by getting rid of "Reader" and making the professional edition free.

They could then charge for distiller as a separate app, pretty much everyone that needs Pro would have to buy distiller anyway.

As an added bonus, Adobe could kick in an "I did it in Adobe" tee shirt for purchasers of Distiller.

http://macmerc.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/1654846
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Joe

Mine is a legitimate copy of Acrobat Pro.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

T

Quote from: Captain_Type on May 08, 2009, 07:44:13 AMI suspect that the problem is checking for a legitimate copy of Acrobat Pro.

This problem would be easily solved by getting rid of "Reader" and making the professional edition free.

They could then charge for distiller as a separate app, pretty much everyone that needs Pro would have to buy distiller anyway.

As an added bonus, Adobe could kick in an "I did it in Adobe" tee shirt for purchasers of Distiller.

http://macmerc.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/1654846

I hardly use Distiller??

ratintrap

Yeah, I was going to say, how often is Distiller used nowadays? I use it quite often because we're so far behind the times but I imagine that you folks are using it less and less. :undecided:

tapdn

Quote from: ratintrap on May 11, 2009, 10:35:00 AMYeah, I was going to say, how often is Distiller used nowadays? I use it quite often because we're so far behind the times but I imagine that you folks are using it less and less. :undecided:

Nowdays... I use it to save my arse when I'm under the gun and a PDF wont rip!!  Rasterize and redistill- hell I ain't proud.  :wink:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

T

Yep, just a last resort.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Last resort for post OS X, anything OS 9.... Distiller.
Member #285 - Civilian

hotmetal

So one day back in The Day, like, oh, probably late 1994, a friend from Cupertino dropped by the house and handed me a floppy (yes, a floppy) with Acrobat 2 on it. He was really excited about PDFs and wanted me to try it right away on a real typesetting job. The best part was that Adobe was giving version 2 away free (they had tried to charge, like, $50 for version 1, and I ignored it at the time.) I installed it. The guts were in the app called "Exchange."

I took to it like a duck takes to water, stayed with it all the way through to now, learned everything I could, used it on the books I was doing production on in the late 1990s, got rave feedback from the book printers regarding the fact that my PDFs actually ran right on the first try.

Meanwhile, today was slow so I bit the bullet and performed a clean upgrade. I uninstalled Pitstop. This... somehow... also disabled Acrobat Pro. Oh well, onward. Uninstalled Acrobat. Reinstalled Acrobat. Ran the updater. Reinstalled Pitstop. All fixed. And, while I'm sure there's a perfectly rational cybernetic explanation for all this crap, I'm losing my love for Adobe Systems...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on May 12, 2009, 06:53:57 PMSo one day back in The Day, like, oh, probably late 1994, a friend from Cupertino dropped by the house and handed me a floppy (yes, a floppy) with Acrobat 2 on it. He was really excited about PDFs and wanted me to try it right away on a real typesetting job. The best part was that Adobe was giving version 2 away free (they had tried to charge, like, $50 for version 1, and I ignored it at the time.) I installed it. The guts were in the app called "Exchange."

I took to it like a duck takes to water, stayed with it all the way through to now, learned everything I could, used it on the books I was doing production on in the late 1990s, got rave feedback from the book printers regarding the fact that my PDFs actually ran right on the first try.

Meanwhile, today was slow so I bit the bullet and performed a clean upgrade. I uninstalled Pitstop. This... somehow... also disabled Acrobat Pro. Oh well, onward. Uninstalled Acrobat. Reinstalled Acrobat. Ran the updater. Reinstalled Pitstop. All fixed. And, while I'm sure there's a perfectly rational cybernetic explanation for all this crap, I'm losing my love for Adobe Systems...

times 2
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

they are having a good go at making it tough to love em thats for sure
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Captain_Type

I use Distiller on every Quark or PageMaker (yes, PageMaker) file I get.
I guess all I was saying was, that the same people who truly need Acrobat Pro now would need Distiller occasionally in the future, and they could remove their copy protection garbage from the "viewer/reader" portion.
Pitstop would need to function in the new Reader, and we'd be good.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Gnub, is that a unicorn squirrel you got there?

mighty nice... did obama give it to you?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

hotmetal

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

Quote from: david on May 13, 2009, 12:14:10 PMGnub, is that a unicorn squirrel you got there?

mighty nice... did obama give it to you?

NO. I'm getting pretty mad. I wake up every morning - I see the rainbow...but no unicorn. I set up a little corral with an apple tree and everything.

Did anyone else get theirs yet? This is crap because as an American I deserve my own unicorn, for free.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david