Slow on compadre's PPC

Started by frailer, November 24, 2009, 04:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Co-worker's PPC 1.8 Single/4.5GB RAM is very slow, more so with 9 than 7. He's not happy. I've done a fairly recent cache clean with a utility. Done Permissions Repair. He restarts it, at my suggestion, as that should clear cache, but he reckons no discernible result.
Are we up against an ageing Mac, or would installing and running, maybe, Applejack help. Maybe someone else is using s similar combo, and that's just how it is. New Mac Mini the next step.   :undecided:
He's not back until Tuesday next week, and I'll have time to get the 'tools' out. Shall do some stuff on it, and run System Monitor...see what's cookin', maybe.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chilbear

Applejack can only help - a good first solution. Next maybe the HD is failing so try cloning and replacing it. Perhaps backing it up should be priority one just in case.

andyfest

Disk Warrior v4 might help if it's got directory issues slowing it down. At month-end we generally run Disk Utility with the boot disc to spot any problems, followed by Disk Warrior to graph the directory order. If it's over 10% out of order, we use DW to write and replace the old directory with a new one.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

frailer

Thanks for those replies. I've got TechTool Pro 4.5.2.   :embarrassed:      Just haven't really had to do much with it; but an obvious start, of course.
I'll look into that...get it installed and have a look tomorrow.

Hmmm...it is possible to break things with TTP, like any such tool. I'll try some basic diagnostics first. Any absolute no-no's? From someone who's used it?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

I don't think you will ever see that G5 run Acrobat 9 as fast as it does Acrobat 7. Acrobat 9 is just more resource hungry than Acrobat 7. Our similar G5 feels like I'm walking around with bricks in my pocket in every application from CS2 to email and web browsing. Get the mini.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

True. He's complaining about 7 as well, but I'll take it for a drag around the block tomorrow, to see if it's a real problem.

The Intel Mini we've got running Black Magic is Imaging and rendering oversized 4up A4, covered in colour, in about 3~3/half minutes. I'm impressed. But I guess Serendipity optimised it for Intel  ..  :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 25, 2009, 12:10:08 AMTrue. He's complaining about 7 as well, but I'll take it for a drag around the block tomorrow, to see if it's a real problem.

The Intel Mini we've got running Black Magic is Imaging and rendering oversized 4up A4, covered in colour, in about 3~3/half minutes. I'm impressed. But I guess Serendipity optimised it for Intel  ..  :undecided:

As did Adobe with Acrobat 9. :wink:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer