BEWARE Acrobat 9 Optimization

Started by Joe, March 01, 2010, 01:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I showed a co-worker how to optimize PDF's in Acrobat 9 because they would not go through the trapper in Prinergy. After optimization they did but I told him to check the files closely (in one ear and out the other). It seems optimizing the PDF's changed the uppercase letters for T, U, and V to lowercase letters for the font Myriad Pro. The job printed that way. The only saving grace is that the customer approved the job like that. Obviously they didn't check it that closely either.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

I think 90% of the problems I have had to troubleshoot and fix in the last 6 months have been caused by Acrobat 9... I do not like Acrobat 9!
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

For the record, after testing, it also does it in Acrobat 8.

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

born2print

9 sux and we can't load the Kodak tools until we upgrade to Prinergy5.
8 was so bad we banished it.
Stuck with 7 here but it works, including the Kodak tools.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Farabomb

8 is about as stable as a hooker on methadone but I don't have 7 so I'm SOL. Waiting till April to get CS5 and deal with those issues.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

8 sucks and deserves a grizzly death from DCS.

born2print

CS5... please be better than CS4 or at least almost as good as CS3! KaythanksbyeAdobe
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Ear

I actually included prepress charges in a crash report I sent from Acro8 one time to cover the amount of time I had spent over the past year on crashes and slow starts.  :cheesy:

I think 9 is a big improvement... not great, but better than bad.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

I used the convert to profile in acro 9 Images moved from their boxes, showing white space.
what the heck?

frailer

:shocked:...to all of the above. Duly warned.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I run 4 different versions of Acrobat, JUST because of shit like this. Problem is Adobe only cares about the newest version, and barely. Some stuff works better in one version, but not in the others, and vice-versa. Hate Acrobat, and hate PDFs. Or at least the people making them.
Member #285 - Civilian

rotarypower3

Quote from: born2print on March 01, 2010, 02:14:37 PM
You can just copy all the plugins to the plugins folder (from a comp with an earlier Acrobat). The geometry editor works, but I'm not licenced for the other tools. They do show up though...

Have used.... Linotronic 530/630 │ Hercules50 │ Scitex Dolev 800 │ Scitex PSM 5/6/7 │ BlackMagic │ EFI Colorproof │ Kodak Prinergy  │ Agfa Apogee Prepress  │

Fixing designers junk since '98!