Acrobat 9 Preflight Panels

Started by gnubler, November 03, 2010, 11:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

What's prompted this thread is a terribly embarrassing confession. Today I discovered that there are actually three layers within the Preflight panel (tiny icons along the top of the window). I never had a pressing need to click on them, but just discovered a bunch more options for in-app PDF editing. What prompted my discovery was to see if there was an action for watermarking pages (didn't see anything, did I miss it?) I use the Preflight panel for converting to grayscale 99% of the time.

Wondering who else uses Acrobat's built-in tools frequently and which ones you find most useful. Has anyone created their own actions and can it be done by the average dork or is it more complex than that?

For those who don't know, I don't have Pitstop but am going to push for it within the next 6 months when we get a new press in the shop.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on November 03, 2010, 11:04:12 PMWhat's prompted this thread is a terribly embarrassing confession. Today I discovered that there are actually three layers within the Preflight panel (tiny icons along the top of the window). I never had a pressing need to click on them, but just discovered a bunch more options for in-app PDF editing. What prompted my discovery was to see if there was an action for watermarking pages (didn't see anything, did I miss it?) I use the Preflight panel for converting to grayscale 99% of the time.

Wondering who else uses Acrobat's built-in tools frequently and which ones you find most useful. Has anyone created their own actions and can it be done by the average dork or is it more complex than that?

For those who don't know, I don't have Pitstop but am going to push for it within the next 6 months when we get a new press in the shop.

I haven't really needed to try those since I have Pitstop. Generally I've found almost anything Acrobat can do Pitstop does much better. I guess that makes me a Pitstop snob.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I use the convert colors alot
I can convert all the images in one click to a PS custom Profile to lower ink density.
I have found doing this with a quark pdf can move images, no probs on indy pdfs tho.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on November 03, 2010, 11:51:03 PMGenerally I've found almost anything Acrobat can do Pitstop does much better. I guess that makes me a Pitstop snob.

Lucky you. Hopefully by next spring I'll be a Pitstop snob, too. I am a beer snob, though.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

How can I convert rich black text within Acrobat? I'm not seeing it in the Preflight tools. I ran the check "Text uses rich black" and it seems like it didn't work because all the text is rich black but it didn't flag it as such.

I don't have Pitstop and I won't open this wicked thing in Illy.

t-pat

global change, change specific color. Select object to change, grab fill, type in what you want it to be, save and run - at least that's how I've been doing it since this new version. There are other things in there that may do it with one click such as "make all black real black", ymmv

btw this is pitstop 10, it was simpler in 9 imo, but in the same place "Global Change" - grab fill.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

I don't have Pitstop.

Can this be done within Acrobat?

NefariousDrO

I think you'll have to use Illustrator, alas. If you use the "edit object" tool you should be able to just grab the part you want to edit and not the entire PDF.

gnubler

All the body copy is broken into "sections", line by line as usual. Can't just select an entire paragraph and change color.

David

Is the pdf all rich black text with no images?

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 17, 2011, 11:18:40 AMAll the body copy is broken into "sections", line by line as usual. Can't just select an entire paragraph and change color.

You can shift click until you have them all selected, then right click and "Select Objects". Should open it in Illustrator to edit. Save from Illustrator and it will save back to the PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: gnubler on August 17, 2011, 11:18:40 AMAll the body copy is broken into "sections", line by line as usual. Can't just select an entire paragraph and change color.
"select same color" from Illy...bam!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: david on August 17, 2011, 11:23:52 AMIs the pdf all rich black text with no images?

Full color images w/ rich black text.

Don't want to open in Illy, it has like 85 funky fonts embedded in the PDF.  :death:

David

send it to me if you can, I'll run it through Pitstop.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

David to the rescue!
(screw you Jim Dandy!)
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david