Ripping a PS or PDF?

Started by rickself, January 03, 2014, 01:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

I've been messing around, trying to get a PDF file (created in InDesign) that takes 30 minutes to RIP, to RIP faster. I don't know, kinda quiet this week, time on my hands. So I found that if I take the same file that I have made PDF and create an in-rip separation .ps file, the file rips in 3 minutes, rather than 30. The preview on the Xitron Navigator appears identical to the PDF file. It seems that after doing this for 25 years, I should have the answer, but...
In a PDF workflow, why can't I just postscript the file using the XitronRIP.ppd and save the steps of compressing, interpreting and de-interpreting? Am I missing something?
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

DCurry

First thing that comes to mind is transparency - does the PDF have live transparency anywhere? If so, it gets flattened during postscripting so that might explain the difference.

Also, is trapping included in your rip time? If so, what happens when you turn it off?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 03, 2014, 01:46:27 PMFirst thing that comes to mind is transparency - does the PDF have live transparency anywhere? If so, it gets flattened during postscripting so that might explain the difference.

Also, is trapping included in your rip time? If so, what happens when you turn it off?

This! Many times designers create files with about a billion paths in it and trapping will slow it down greatly. If you ps/distill it many of those paths will be rasterized if they are touching transparency. So then they RIP faster.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rickself

As far as trapping, believe it or not, I still manually trap my files. The boss has so far figured my time is less expensive than the $3000 plug-in.
And transparency, yes, I did notice that the transparency is different when postscripted. I would suppose (brilliant) that may be why the rip time is so fast but also thought there may be a setting I am missing! I use the XitronRIP.ppd to postscript and will do more examination of the settings.
See, that's why I can ask these questions here - so I can be slapped upside the head and not take offense.
Like I said, I'm filling time on a quiet week, making the brain cells buzz.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

DCurry

If it were me, I would let the PDF take as long as it needs rather than making the .ps file. I don't like the idea of flattening transparency unless absolutely necessary.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

rickself

Agreed. Just made me wonder why the difference in times. Transparency says it all.