Epson 9900 Cleaning

Started by Tracy, April 18, 2022, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I just watched a video on cleaning print heads wiper blades and some other thingy.

is this something a professional should do?
in the video she pushed 3 buttons and unplugged at the same time
and then she moved things up and down and removed things!!  ;D

this stresses me out a bit, just wondering if I can cause damage, and is this part of the job?

Possum

That depends on how bad things will be held up if you damage something. And how big a pariah you'll be afterward.

I had enough problems being blamed for breaking things somebody else broke. I didn't need to ask for trouble.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

I had somebody service ours at the point where the regular cleaning maintenance from the Epson wasn't doing enough. I wasn't horribly expensive, the guy really knew his stuff & replaced a few parts too. Told me what NOT to do (like never use the Heavy Cleaning cycle) and I felt good about not potentially ruining the Proofer.

That being said, some Mgr thought we should just buy a new one, even though this is a workhorse and holds color just fine for what we do - why spend needlessly on a whole new one?  ::)
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

Thanks Slappy!
I know I could probably do what was on the video if I had all the cleaning products
but I think I will look into having someone come in.

good to know about not using the heavy cleaning, sheesh I didn't know that

DigiCorn

My experience on proofer cleaning, posted in a thread about 10 years ago now, was that even when left to the, "experts," even a, "professional," can muck stuff up. Long story short, we had an issue with our Epson 10600 and hired an Epson certified, "professional," to fix it. I think the company was called Precision 1 or Decision 1 or something like that. Anyway, the guy bent a line to the head or something and threw the entire head out of alignment, and spent three full days on it (even calling in an, "expert," from Seattle) to assist him on it. He eventually gave up, and then the company tried to bill us $3k to break the proofer. We took it to an Epson guy in Oakland, who said the entire unit was beyond repairable. The Precision 1 guy tried to sue us for the repair bill and it was a big thing. As far as I know, we didn't pay and they dropped the case. I had to write a whole deposition on the matter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

You've seen it all DigiCorn!

scottrsimons

Precision1 or Decision1 ( I can't remember their name either) is the company Epson sends out to do their dirty work. We've had them in our shop ( in Michigan ) a few times over the years. Usually for a 4800 or 4900, under warranty. Usually to tell us that the unit is too bad and that Epson will replace it. And like all repair shops, it all depends on the tech that comes out. Some are real good, and then there are the rest.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

uh oh!
I got someone coming today, thankfully it's not precision or decision  ;D

Possum

It takes an "expert" to really muck things up.

DigiCorn

Quote from: scottrsimons on April 25, 2022, 06:12:48 AMPrecision1 or Decision1 ( I can't remember their name either) is the company Epson sends out to do their dirty work. We've had them in our shop ( in Michigan ) a few times over the years. Usually for a 4800 or 4900, under warranty. Usually to tell us that the unit is too bad and that Epson will replace it. And like all repair shops, it all depends on the tech that comes out. Some are real good, and then there are the rest.
I think our tech had an IQ just above plant life.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

RMPrepress

We have an Extended Service Plan with Epson for our P9000 that was installed in 2019.
Cost $1,000 a year.
We have had Decision One out here in southern New Hampshire as well and we have found them to pretty reliable and thorough.
The extended service fully covered the last visit, I can't recall exactly what the issue was with the P9000 though.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 25, 2022, 01:34:43 PM
Quote from: scottrsimons on April 25, 2022, 06:12:48 AMPrecision1 or Decision1 ( I can't remember their name either) is the company Epson sends out to do their dirty work. We've had them in our shop ( in Michigan ) a few times over the years. Usually for a 4800 or 4900, under warranty. Usually to tell us that the unit is too bad and that Epson will replace it. And like all repair shops, it all depends on the tech that comes out. Some are real good, and then there are the rest.
I think our tech had an IQ just above plant life.

What kind of plant? IQs may differ.

pspdfppdfxhd

How did that get embedded?

I meant, what kind of plant? IQs differ amongst the flora and fauna. Just sayin is all.

Tracy

The people never showed up and they don't answer their phone
I kept calling, I gave up figuring I don't want people like that working on equipment.
They kept saying they would be here tomorrow

Possum

I've seen recommendations that you should contact the sales person that sold it. They don't want to lose a customer and a potential sale in the future, so sometimes they will get the tech guys to get off their butts.