Epson Proofers now Chip Free?

Started by Slappy, July 28, 2023, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Our Color Calibration guy left me a VM a few weeks back saying that we'd likely start getting ink carts without the dreaded Chip & we need to update our Firmware. Has anybody heard of/seen these yet?

I assume that the proofer will still see the other carts we already have on-hand with the chip, but I'm hesitant to flash the thing just yet.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

smells like trouble to me.
We have some Epson's but I don't buy the cartridges.
I doubt that it would work if you have one cart without a chip and the others with.

Once it's updated, it may not recognize the "chipped" versions, or it could and just ignore the chip?
It's Epson, who knows what you'll get.

or a genius marketing plan to get you to buy more ink....

8)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

johnny_jay

We upgraded the firmware in our P7000, have not seen the new cartridges yet but they are probably running down inventory. All our cartridges have been chipped so I'm sure all will work fine.

Before this, we did have 2 cartridges with bad chips and we could not use. Epson wanted a signed letter from the Pope for a return se we had to eat them.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Possum

You may get stuck with a machine that only recognizes unchipped carts, which will then be very hard to find, if things work out as usual.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

In a known good empty ink cartridge, razor blade down the label, split the cartridge open and remove empty bag of ink. Take the new unchipped cartridge and do the same. Place it in the old, good, cartridge, snap together and use. That used to work on our Iris (Epson ink was cheaper than Iris branded ink, but the Iris was a rebranded Epson with different tabs on the plastic cartridges).

Nobody fucks with Dice; Dice does the fuckin'!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

RMPrepress

Updated the firmware on our P9000 about a month ago.
Like Johnny said though...no new cartridges...yet.
I have never had an issue with the Epson chips in their cartridges.
Although we use the 700ml cartridges now so we change them out half as much as we used to with the 350ml's.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP