can't draw a straight line or boxes

Started by andyfest, November 24, 2011, 08:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

We've had a wierd problem with Illy CS4 pop up on one of our Mac Pros in the last couple of weeks. For some reason when you draw a rectangle (using the rectangle tool in the toolbox) it won't draw straight lines. Same with a line - even if you hold down the shift key that machine will not draw a straight line. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be happening before I try a re-install of CS4?. For 90% of our jobs we are using CS5 now, but for the other 10% that are supplied as CS4 we would like to work in the supplied version.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Try resetting Illustrators preferences. You will lose any preference settings you had previously made.

QuoteYou can also reset Illustrator's preferences by holding down Shift + Command + Option + Control while opening the program. If you will get a dialog asking if you want to delete the settings folder, say yes. Restart Illustrator. Reset any custom preferences you want, and when you close Illustrator the preferences file will be regenerated.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

this seems to be happening to all my packaging dezinger people, but I doubt it is software related since they don't seem to be able to zoom in past 100% either.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on November 24, 2011, 10:32:31 AMTry resetting Illustrators preferences. You will lose any preference settings you had previously made.

QuoteYou can also reset Illustrator's preferences by holding down Shift + Command + Option + Control while opening the program. If you will get a dialog asking if you want to delete the settings folder, say yes. Restart Illustrator. Reset any custom preferences you want, and when you close Illustrator the preferences file will be regenerated.
That worked - Thanks a bunch Joe. You are the MAN!

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

My prefs have been getting reset a lot lately. Must be sunspots.

andyfest

This was a first for us. We've been using Illy CS4 for probably close to 2 1/2 - 3 years and CS5 for about a year now. It's about a 90/10 split of CS5 files to CS4 files.

DCurry

I was going to suggest that maybe your monitor was crooked!  :wink:
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Syphon

Quote from: DCurry on November 25, 2011, 03:38:16 PMI was going to suggest that maybe your monitor was crooked!  :wink:

I was going to suggest when sitting, lean a little until the box/line is straight.
Works for me.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

NefariousDrO

That gets uncomfortable after a while, that's why I tell my customers to put something under their monitor until the view fixes the tilt.

G_Town

gnubler

Quote from: G_Town on November 29, 2011, 03:49:25 PMI've had similar issues in photoshop.

Likewise. Like holding down shift key with the brush tool does not result in a straight connected line.

There's a fix, don't remember what it was. :laugh: Prolly reset prefs.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on November 29, 2011, 04:18:37 PM
Quote from: G_Town on November 29, 2011, 03:49:25 PMI've had similar issues in photoshop.

Likewise. Like holding down shift key with the brush tool does not result in a straight connected line.

There's a fix, don't remember what it was. :laugh: Prolly reset prefs.

Deleted prefs just like Joe stated like you can do in illy.

DigiCorn

Quote from: andyfest on November 24, 2011, 08:11:44 AMWe've had a wierd problem with Illy CS4 pop up on one of our Mac Pros in the last couple of weeks. For some reason when you draw a rectangle (using the rectangle tool in the toolbox) it won't draw straight lines. Same with a line - even if you hold down the shift key that machine will not draw a straight line. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be happening before I try a re-install of CS4?. For 90% of our jobs we are using CS5 now, but for the other 10% that are supplied as CS4 we would like to work in the supplied version.
Do you have Parkinsons'?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 30, 2011, 12:20:05 PM
Quote from: andyfest on November 24, 2011, 08:11:44 AMWe've had a wierd problem with Illy CS4 pop up on one of our Mac Pros in the last couple of weeks. For some reason when you draw a rectangle (using the rectangle tool in the toolbox) it won't draw straight lines. Same with a line - even if you hold down the shift key that machine will not draw a straight line. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be happening before I try a re-install of CS4?. For 90% of our jobs we are using CS5 now, but for the other 10% that are supplied as CS4 we would like to work in the supplied version.
Do you have Parkinsons'?
Dementia possibly...but I can't remember...