Working from Home / Coronavirus

Started by StudioMonkey, March 20, 2020, 05:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 05, 2020, 03:40:52 PM
I'm SO FUCKING pissed off about this bullshit, I can't even see straight right now. FUCKING BULLSHIT WASTE OF TIME.

Obviously you are referring to humanity, yes? I agree!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

In my life I have spent an incredible amount of time working on things that do not matter and will never happen.

thank god for liquor

:drunk3: :banana: :drunk3: :banana: :drunk3:

glad to see your still here gnub!
keep on keepin' on!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 05, 2020, 03:38:36 PM
FUCK working from home. I swear they invent BULLSHIT stuff for me to do, just to keep me from having any fucking free time, even though the goddamn government is paying my fucking salary right now. I'm mocking up 44 fucking BULLSHIT high school graduation signs, that I 100% GUARANTEE will never see the light of day... #1, they don't have the school name or mascot on them; #2 they don't have the school logo on them; #3 they don't have the student name on them... WHO THE FUCK, is gonna buy a generic graduation sign that vaguely has the high school colors on them??!!??!!

I estimate we print over 6,000 signs. All different. Most with logos, some with names. Some cut out into shapes. Designing all of it. Busy AF and we are still interrupted to make happy birthday signs for family members.  :drunk3:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

born2print

Quote from: david on May 05, 2020, 06:27:08 PM
In my life I have spent an incredible amount of time working on things that do not matter and will never happen.
Same here, as well as my wife, and my father before me. Lining bird cages has been very good to my family.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Quote from: born2print on May 06, 2020, 09:39:08 AM
Quote from: david on May 05, 2020, 06:27:08 PM
Same here, as well as my wife, and my father before me. Lining bird cages has been very good to my family.

I think that is actually the definition of prepress. Prepress: an incredible amount of time working on things that do not matter.

And yeah....they pay us for that.  :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

My kids have been watching me "work" from home. They cant believe i get paid for what i do, but then they are not exposed to the stress and retardation i have to deal with on the other side.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on May 06, 2020, 01:38:12 PM
My kids have been watching me "work" from home. They cant believe i get paid for what i do, but then they are not exposed to the stress and retardation i have to deal with on the other side.

My wife: While looking at me going through some pages in Acrobat..."That is all you do?"

Me:  :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Spoke with my co-worker who returned after a 6 week hiatus yesterday and told her I was going to try to take some time off, and she was okay with it. Spoke briefly with the owner, and told her I was starting to lose my mind after 6 weeks of holding it together. I told her how dealing with all the extra work at home, and how trying to home school 2 kids and running the household was just getting to be too much. I asked if I could reduce my hours, or maybe just go on hiatus and she could bring back the guy she laid off.. she mentioned something about her loan and how maybe I could go on paid family leave. She didn't get back to me today.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

Good luck with that. Those loans come with a lot of stipulations.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

Quote from: Skryber on May 06, 2020, 08:19:12 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on May 05, 2020, 03:38:36 PM
FUCK working from home. I swear they invent BULLSHIT stuff for me to do, just to keep me from having any fucking free time, even though the goddamn government is paying my fucking salary right now. I'm mocking up 44 fucking BULLSHIT high school graduation signs, that I 100% GUARANTEE will never see the light of day... #1, they don't have the school name or mascot on them; #2 they don't have the school logo on them; #3 they don't have the student name on them... WHO THE FUCK, is gonna buy a generic graduation sign that vaguely has the high school colors on them??!!??!!

I estimate we print over 6,000 signs. All different. Most with logos, some with names. Some cut out into shapes. Designing all of it. Busy AF and we are still interrupted to make happy birthday signs for family members.  :drunk3:
Our sign stuff has picked up slightly, the grad things are rolling in but most are one-offs, a few multiple orders for small private schools and almost nobody has any idea wtf they want, so it's eating up design time I'm positive wan't quoted. Oh, and the internal designer was laid off early, so I've been hacking/slashing together garbage in my "spare time" which isn't much.

One person even sent a screenshot from their iAndroid of an Etsy seller's sign that they loved. I suggested just buying the effing design, then changing the name(s) but instead they opted for spending an hour+ on recreating the garbage.

We're not making it out of this alive, are we?  :shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

So it's Saturday night close to midnight, and I'm boozing in the garage bar and it dawns on me, I haven't checked in on B4 in a couple days. OK, all you cool cats and kittens, here's the skinny: On Tuesday, I was absolutely losing my fucking mind working from home, educating a 6 and 10 year old, and running a household. My fellow prepress co-worker returned Monday after something like 6 weeks off. I basically told her, I can't fucking do this any more; the stress is literally killing me (I had a blood pressure episode that lasted about 2 days where I was in stroke territory with a sustained average blood pressure somewhere in the 170/110 range). I had a conversation with the boss, and Thursday morning (after working abut 3 hours) we came to arrangement that puts me on paid leave until the middle of June... I get a little less than half my normal wage... and I'm sort of *on-call* but not really. I didn't even care about the money, but it's a government loan/edd thing, so whatever. I had to compose a letter that said I'm unable to work because I have childcare issues, that our schools are closed, our childcare facilities are closed and that I'm caring for family members (my father-in-law has COPD, diabetes, and is 85 and I do their shopping/handyman-type stuff for them right now). Anyway, I told the boss that I solely set up the new shop we bought last year, and it's my baby and I don't want anything or anybody fucking it up so if they need me, I want control over files/plating stuff at that shop but other than that, I'm off for 6 weeks, and regardless of whether the state re-opens or not, I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future, even upon my return. I did do an hour and a half on Friday after all that went down. I'm the kind of guy who always falls into shit, but ends up smelling like roses.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

You really did the right thing. If a stroke doesn't kill you it can leave you an effin vegetable. Then the boss would be on the hook because he'd been warned.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DPSprint

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 10, 2020, 12:47:04 AM
So it's Saturday night close to midnight, and I'm boozing in the garage bar and it dawns on me, I haven't checked in on B4 in a couple days. OK, all you cool cats and kittens, here's the skinny: On Tuesday, I was absolutely losing my fucking mind working from home, educating a 6 and 10 year old, and running a household. My fellow prepress co-worker returned Monday after something like 6 weeks off. I basically told her, I can't fucking do this any more; the stress is literally killing me (I had a blood pressure episode that lasted about 2 days where I was in stroke territory with a sustained average blood pressure somewhere in the 170/110 range). I had a conversation with the boss, and Thursday morning (after working abut 3 hours) we came to arrangement that puts me on paid leave until the middle of June... I get a little less than half my normal wage... and I'm sort of *on-call* but not really. I didn't even care about the money, but it's a government loan/edd thing, so whatever. I had to compose a letter that said I'm unable to work because I have childcare issues, that our schools are closed, our childcare facilities are closed and that I'm caring for family members (my father-in-law has COPD, diabetes, and is 85 and I do their shopping/handyman-type stuff for them right now). Anyway, I told the boss that I solely set up the new shop we bought last year, and it's my baby and I don't want anything or anybody fucking it up so if they need me, I want control over files/plating stuff at that shop but other than that, I'm off for 6 weeks, and regardless of whether the state re-opens or not, I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future, even upon my return. I did do an hour and a half on Friday after all that went down. I'm the kind of guy who always falls into shit, but ends up smelling like roses.

good job! now do take some time for you as well

Skryber

My solution to the madness is to do my kids school work. Everyone knows that's happening anyway. My 7 year old can type 40 words per minute. :rotf: Half of the time it doesn't work anyway. There are 11 different sign ins. You have to read a description on how to log on to each assignment. There may be a message from the teacher somewhere in an email or bulletin about it not working and to disregard but of course you don't see it because they communicate with the kids 4 different ways. Yesterday, there was a technical problem where the other students answers were visible. So I just copied their answers. Can't show work for math so I did 8 pages of long division with a calculator. Found some other kids essay on Orville Redenbacher so I stole that and turned it in. 3 weeks left. I'm not a teacher. Breaking point reached. :drunk3:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

delooch

Its overwhelming, but  i wont do thier work for them. I will guide them and answer questions, but they have 24 hours a day sitting on their ass, they can spend the usual 6 hour school shift figuring it out. they arent doing as great, but i think they are learning they are not going have a safety net when they hit employment age. They didnt do shit in the beginning, but the follow ups from the teachers fixed that.

If my son can figure out blender to make sim cars on his own, he can learn the math. My daughter thinks they are going to let this semester slide, but thats not going to happen. The usual threat of taking her iphone or macbook away doesnt work, because they need them for school. but she doesnt get a pass either. if she slips, a zoom meeting with her teacher usually gets her back on track for a while.

on top of that we are all suddenly home school teachers, i hate to say i dont have the time, but since working from home i seem to be putting in 10 hour days instead of the usual 8.

Also, when this started my daughter was and her moms house, then mom started showing symptoms (still TBA if it was real), so she kept her for 5 weeks. I didnt push it because my immune system is shit from chemo.. She allowed her to sleep all day and didnt follow up on her work, so basically made me the asshole for being the diciplinarian to get her back on track.  Such a goddamn struggle with the ex. did i metnion we are still legaly married?

:)