Help Wanted

Started by Joe, February 20, 2015, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Ear on February 23, 2015, 03:54:21 PM... and you're probably not allowed to stomp them, since they are being studied.
On the other hand, if you kill one and get away with it (I mean, who's going to know) the rest of them would probably leave you alone.  And they taste pretty good apparently.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

Must be a lot of people that likes cold air and penguins.

Antarctica 'Penguin Post Office' Job Attracts Record Number of Applicants

QuoteA job posting to man the "Penguin Post Office" in Port Lockroy, Antarctica, has received a record number of applicants: more than 1,500 since Feb. 16. In 2014, there were only 82 applicants all year long.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Speaking of jobs, I got two temp prepress gigs coming up, and a possible permanent part time job working for a beer publication. Score!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Slip my address onto the mailing list.  ;)
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I have marketed myself as a temp fill in (part time only) as an Independent Contractor around town. I have 4 clients and working on #5. I only work when they need me (i.e. sick employee, someone wants a vacation, etc.). It's a goldmine niche because NO ONE is doing this. How many of you out there are a 1-man operation and can't take any time off (Cough F-Bomb Cough)? I started a new assignment today. Boy are these guys fucking hosed. They soft proof everything; essentially no rip and no color management to speak of. They have Apogee X, but don't use it for anything other than proofing. They use Symphony, but only RIP their files AFTER proofing and approval by the customer. They have a Presstek platesetter. FUCK. I learned their whole shop in less than 3 hours. NO PItstop. NO font management other than Fontbook. No RIP. They are getting a new platesetter soon, but not sure what they are getting. They have a Palladio but no longer use it. This place is in the dark ages. I will be doing their prepress person (who's been there 30 years) a HUGE FUCKING FAVOR by sitting down with the owners and telling them about 90 things wrong with their workflow.

Also, I hate fucking printing, and if I didn't have kids interested in shit, and need beer money, I'd be flipping burgers.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 05, 2015, 11:15:46 PMI have marketed myself as a temp fill in (part time only) as an Independent Contractor around town. I have 4 clients and working on #5. I only work when they need me (i.e. sick employee, someone wants a vacation, etc.). It's a goldmine niche because NO ONE is doing this. How many of you out there are a 1-man operation and can't take any time off (Cough F-Bomb Cough)? I started a new assignment today. Boy are these guys fucking hosed. They soft proof everything; essentially no rip and no color management to speak of. They have Apogee X, but don't use it for anything other than proofing. They use Symphony, but only RIP their files AFTER proofing and approval by the customer. They have a Presstek platesetter. FUCK. I learned their whole shop in less than 3 hours. NO PItstop. NO font management other than Fontbook. No RIP. They are getting a new platesetter soon, but not sure what they are getting. They have a Palladio but no longer use it. This place is in the dark ages. I will be doing their prepress person (who's been there 30 years) a HUGE FUCKING FAVOR by sitting down with the owners and telling them about 90 things wrong with their workflow.

Also, I hate fucking printing, and if I didn't have kids interested in shit, and need beer money, I'd be flipping burgers.

Salesman had a prospective new customer talk to my boss today. He is using a 1995 Mac of some sort running PageMaker. No email. No internet. His burning question was 1) how does he get his photos onto his Mac and 2) how does he send his "chip" to us to get his files off of it? :wtf: This is pre-dark ages.

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 05, 2015, 11:15:46 PMThis place is in the dark ages. I will be doing their prepress person (who's been there 30 years) a HUGE FUCKING FAVOR by sitting down with the owners and telling them about 90 things wrong with their workflow.
Yeah, you do realize that person likes the way they're doing things, no matter how bass ackwards it is & will instantly tell their boss that your ideas are worthless so they don't have to learn anything new, right? But hey, go forth & spread the Good Word man!

:lmao:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on March 06, 2015, 12:59:11 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 05, 2015, 11:15:46 PMThis place is in the dark ages. I will be doing their prepress person (who's been there 30 years) a HUGE FUCKING FAVOR by sitting down with the owners and telling them about 90 things wrong with their workflow.
Yeah, you do realize that person likes the way they're doing things, no matter how bass ackwards it is & will instantly tell their boss that your ideas are worthless so they don't have to learn anything new, right? But hey, go forth & spread the Good Word man!

:lmao:

Not to mention the money they will save by staying in the dark ages.

Farabomb

I'm not unlike that. If it works then I'm in no rush to change. That being said I'm not blind to the new tech or things that can improve my throughput. You can't progress if you are stuck in the past. My platesetter is from 2004, but it works (most of the time). We just changed plates to a developerless system (new batch of problems for me to deal with). I just need a lot of time before I truly trust the new things. Something you don't get in prepress. That's why all the changes are the boss's idea and I tell him the potential issues. Not that he listens to me...

So Digi, want to come out to the right coast and cover for me when I'm on vacation? Yes I do things a little different (only use fontbook, FEX is acting funky) but I keep the press fed.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Ear

por favor acepte mi solicitud fregado :naughty:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

WTF!  :lmao:

Clean-up! Aisle 69!

Joe

How much would I have to pay to get this job? ;D

David

where do we get in line?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Go past the "Beer testers wanted" sign, through the $20/hr. to watch cartoons room and straight-on till morning.