News:

Main Menu

Concentric Screening Users

Started by David, October 21, 2009, 12:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Any you guys using Esko's Concentric Screening?

any comments, pro and con?

We are testing it out now and were wondering if there was anyone using it with any success or... not.

thanks,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

We tested it late last year in conjunction with Esko's PressSync technology. Mark Samworth was a great help in getting us set up for the tests. The test prints worked well with conventional & UV inks on normal substrates, but not so well using UV ink on plastic. If I had my way we would have incorporated the new screening and press curve technologies into most of our "normal" work, but then the economy tanked and the company put a moratorium on any new spending. Maybe some day....
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

KWells1979

Quote from: andyfest on November 02, 2009, 06:30:40 AMbut not so well using UV ink on plastic.

Can I ask what problems you had with printing UV on plastic? Exactly what stock were you using?

We have the concentric license and are working on profiling using presssync today for all substrates from 80gsm paper and 30 micron film.

andyfest

The problems we encountered on the 16 point PPV were probably due to the short runs for the test. On the the concentric test done on PPV substrate there was a "mottled" pattern on the Gracol 7 "gray area" almost as though the ink was emulsifying. I sent all of the test sheets to Mark Samworth for examination and he did come up with a series of PressSync curves to deal with the press gain, but was not completely satisfied that that screening technique would work on that substrate. We did not have any such problem using conventional or UV inks (Hostmann) on 20 pt SBS substrate tests, which all looked great. I would like to try more testing using the Concentric screening on a variety of plastic substrates using the new curves and longer runs, but right now I don't have a budget for it.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro