Letterpress Revisited

Started by gtrev, February 16, 2009, 12:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

As I watch some of the guys at my shop "disappear" back to the old foils stamping room, with the 3 operational Kluges we use for diecutting, I really WISH I had more space at home for all the printing stuff  i would like to buy ... steal ... acquire ... just so I could use it on projects occasionally.
I literally can't put a price on the use I have gotten out of the old Epson 5000 and 3000 in the past 2 years, but I would KILL to have the space to set up an old die-cutting machine!

This is a cool thread, thanks for starting it peeps!

PS - in an old city like Pittsburgh, I love watching Craigslist and finding old printing stuff like this: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/atq/3520670914.html ... sadly< I have nowhere to put it!  :cry:

Tracy

My inlaws gave me an old type tray for Christmas
I would like to fill it with some old type of various sizes.
anybody got any tips on purchasing some type for a reasonable price?

born2print

I wish I knew, I have a type tray and I've collected like 8 letters and 2 engravings... in like 10 years. I didn't really look hard though.
I also have a litho stone, which I like a lot. It still has all it's last job(s) images on both sides.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

You peeps interested in letterpress stuff need to visit http://www.briarpress.org/
(that's is if you haven't heard of 'em before)
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

Thanks Sabrina!

I'll let you know if I find anything Born
I havn't really looked either

born2print

I get my stuff from old dudes retiring  :laugh:
Thanks Tracy, I am interested.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on January 14, 2013, 02:55:06 PMMy inlaws gave me an old type tray for Christmas
I would like to fill it with some old type of various sizes.
anybody got any tips on purchasing some type for a reasonable price?
It's kind of hard now that it's become the Cool Thing to do and people are snatching up collections. One place that we used to always see stuff was at Antiques Centers. The kind where people basically rent a space & just have their stuff displayed, and there are dozens or hundreds of little areas. You ever been to Savage Mill, just north of Laurel? That's a good one, we actually snagged a whole vertical, wooden case with about 12 drawers full of type & logo blocks a few years back! It was all priced individually but the guy renting the space let us have the whole shebang for like $125 iirc.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

We have some floating around here. I don't know if it's for decoration or not - it's just lying around.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

when I had my old shop I inherited so much letterpress stuff I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Too bad I didn't have a way to hold on to it, I would have had a small fortune. Chicago is full of expired letterpress shops, there's bound to be tons of it here for the asking.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

The guy redoing our plumbing was up in the "attic" and the board he was on broke
and he came thru the ceiling, my type tray was leaning up against the wall and he broke it :cry:
I am considering getting another one tho.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

He's a good friend that's a handyman
saved lots of money, but he's a bit of a train wreck :smiley:

Slappy

Here's our case, and a few of the drawers' contents. Most of it needs cleaning, badly, I just haven't had the time or inclination to tackle it.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

typeman

Google type-tiques. They have tons of stuff.