Can pitstop generate barcodes?

Started by mwc, September 26, 2017, 10:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwc

looking to add barcode data in the bleed area of certain pages...
was thinking of creating PDFs of the various barcodes to PLACE in the pdf margin via pitstop...and if pitstop had a generator that'd be even better  (code39) 

DigiCorn

I'm sure if you have the correct font loaded into the user fonts folder it can do it, but it won't batch create with a vdp file, if that's what you're thinking - you can do that in InDesign and then export to pdf.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

mwc

Thanks, actually the need is for a bookletmaker that reads barcodes during operation...and we simply want to use the codes to ensure set integrity (right page in book, correct # pages, etc).

The codes vary for the page#, total pages, and feeder used (cover feeder(s) and stack feeder)

I have a couple options to do this rather manually...but most promising right now is a PDF imposition tool to add this info...(IMPOSITION STUDIO looks like it might be a winner...still evaluating)
We already have separate imposition tools for various workflows...and this would be another one to add to the basket of tools...)

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: mwc on September 26, 2017, 11:28:22 AMI have a couple options to do this rather manually...but most promising right now is a PDF imposition tool to add this info...(IMPOSITION STUDIO looks like it might be a winner...still evaluating)
We already have separate imposition tools for various workflows...and this would be another one to add to the basket of tools...)
I have a licensed version of Imposition Studio, bought as a stopgap until we could get a Real Solution. I haven't done anything with barcodes yet though, if you need anything specific tested before you commit, let me know & I'll try it for ya.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

mwc

Thanks.

We use an OLD version of Preps (5.3) w/Rampage - I do see that barcode marks are an option to look at (was not aware of this)...but we are only using preps for our OFFSET workflow. For digital, we have 'a mess' of other workflows (Prinect, Fiery, Xeikon)...and nobody really 'gets to talk to' each other...(the logic of a unified workflow is lost on the illogical thinking at the shop....)

mwc

Quote from: Slappy on October 02, 2017, 08:57:09 PM
Quote from: mwc on September 26, 2017, 11:28:22 AMI have a couple options to do this rather manually...but most promising right now is a PDF imposition tool to add this info...(IMPOSITION STUDIO looks like it might be a winner...still evaluating)
[/quote I have a licensed version of Imposition Studio, bought as a stopgap until we could get a Real Solution. I haven't done anything with barcodes yet though, if you need anything specific tested before you commit, let me know & I'll try it for ya.

I did eval and purchase Imposition Studio...and it does exactly what I need it to for now, and the hot folder workflow is rather slick for PDF imposition. What REAL imposition tool did you migrate to?

Slappy

I was curious about the hot folders, just haven't found a chance to see what they can do.

We're going to XMF in the next few weeks, can not WAIT to replace the hodge podge of crapola that's in place now!  :banana:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

abc

FYI - PitStop 2018 has a built-in Barcode generator.....