Powered USB hub the problem?

Started by frailer, December 17, 2013, 03:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

On the XMF server box, HP, have a powered USB hub, (Belkin, FWIW). It's not seeing any USB peripherals. We had a power failure a week or so ago. I think it dates to then. Power is through a surge protector/UPS, (the latter no longer holding charge  :rolleyes: ). Have:
-pulled hub power out for a while and plugged back in.
-pulled USB Out from sever and re-inserted.
It's not day-to-day critical, but does have some Archive files we access occasionally. So I need to address it nevertheless.

Get a new hub?

Have pulled USB hub out, and tried a USB stick straight into the front USB port. Not picking up, so may be the HP's port. Anyone had one go on the blink?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Possibly fried the USB port at/during/after the power outage. You can get a PCI USB card to put in the server to give you new USB ports. This one is for USB 2.0 but you can get them for USB 3.0 as well. Just a little more expensive.

Koutech PCI to USB2.0 Card Model IO-PU520
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 17, 2013, 03:52:40 PMPossibly fried the USB port at/during/after the power outage. You can get a PCI USB card to put in the server to give you new USB ports. This one is for USB 2.0 but you can get them for USB 3.0 as well. Just a little more expensive.

Koutech PCI to USB2.0 Card Model IO-PU520

Thanks Joe, shall follow that solution up. But, it's plugged into the UPS's back, so should have been protected. I have 6 things powered through that, including platesetter, server,... no probs on those.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Sometimes things just go bad on their own.

But just for grins...completely power that server down, unplug the power cable and leave it powered off for about 60 seconds, then plug it back in and power it back up and see if your USB ports are working. Sometimes just re-booting or even just power off/on isn't enough to clear things out.

frailer

Shall try that towards end of the day, when they won't suddenly ask for a set of plates.  :cool:

Joe

Thereby guaranteeing someone will want new plates as soon as you shut it down. Prepress Law...formerly known as Murphy's Law.

frailer

Done that. No go.  :sad:  I have access to PC-Express, and PCI-X. Looking into it now.

Joe

Sounds like the USB port is toast. Just that one or all of them? Should have a few in the back.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 17, 2013, 07:03:50 PMSounds like the USB port is toast. Just that one or all of them? Should have a few in the back.

Only one in the back, occupied by the XMF dongle. The one in the front is the dud. The rear one must be OK, though.

Joe

Hmmmm...that is unusual for a server to only have 2 of them. I guess HP saved a couple of bucks there. :sarcasm:

frailer

On my homer list to pick up a PCI-E card>USB on way home.