Windows 7/8 can upgrade to 10 for free

Started by Made in Taiwan, June 04, 2015, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: jannatul18 on June 12, 2015, 03:50:04 AMIs it really free of cost? Great!

In the short term yes.[footnote]Though there are exceptions[/footnote]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jannatul18

What is the advantage of upgrading that? I hope it doesnt slow down my PC.
Jannatul
Hobbyist photographer |graphic designer|
clipping path service expert

wonderings

Quote from: jannatul18 on July 25, 2015, 04:07:27 AMWhat is the advantage of upgrading that? I hope it doesnt slow down my PC.

I see a big advantage if upgrading from Win 8, much better UI, no more metro unless you are using a touch device. The OS is fast, been using it as a virtual machine for some light testing. This is what Win 8 should have been.

Farabomb

Sounds exactly like M$'s m.o. Release a good OS, then release a shit one, then a good one and on and on.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Quote from: Farabomb on July 30, 2015, 06:49:10 AMSounds exactly like M$'s m.o. Release a good OS, then release a shit one, then a good one and on and on.

that does seem to be how it goes with Win OS's. I installed Win 10 on my Home PC this morning before leaving for work, to get it all going and installed took less then an hour, not sure of the exact time because I am at work and just screen shared my PC at home with my iPad and finished the setup parts to get it going. Easiest Win install ever.

Farabomb

Hmm, I may have to install it on that SSD I bought a year ago to replace my failing RAID array.

I was going to do it last night but got distracted by installing Fate. That was 4 hours lost. At least it will give the woman something to do while recovering. 

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

well i took the win10 bait and upgraded the home pc last night. i have to say, the upgrade (win7) went pretty much flawless, and required very little input from me.

it didnt have/recognize drivers for either of my wi-fi USB dongles, but somehow got it working long enough to download the correct ones, guessing its using some generic spec driver or something.. shit i dont care, it worked.

UI is smooth, fast & flat, nice. get to find out where MS moved all the settings.. most of my apps seem to still work, media sharing is in tact. so far so good.

my win7 original copy was not genuine, however, win10pro was still successfully activated, passed validation.. so i either got away with it, or im expecting  a notice from MS's lawyers soon..

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Farabomb

Yep, I saw something about that this weekend.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Not sure what all the hub-bub is about over this.

QuoteMicrosoft enables Wi-Fi Sense by default on Windows 10, but it doesn't share your networks by default. You have to actively choose to share your Wi-Fi network by clicking a box that says "Share network with my contacts" when logging in.

Simple solution: Don't click the box to share your network. It is not shared by default. Hell you can enable guest access to your network through your router settings and you don't hear everyone getting their panties bunched up over it. Because it is not enabled by default. Just like Wi-Fi Sense network sharing in Windows 10.

Farabomb

I wasn't worried, I assume 90% of what I see on the internet is someone getting all bent out of shape about something they do absolutely NO research on.

That's why we have anti-vaxers now.  :shoots_self:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

No I didn't mean people here. Just referring to that headline:

Why this Windows 10 feature is freaking everyone out

Farabomb

That's what I ment too. Clickbaity headlines abound on the internet.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

Quote from: Joe on July 31, 2015, 07:58:32 AMNot sure what all the hub-bub is about over this.

QuoteMicrosoft enables Wi-Fi Sense by default on Windows 10, but it doesn't share your networks by default. You have to actively choose to share your Wi-Fi network by clicking a box that says "Share network with my contacts" when logging in.

Simple solution: Don't click the box to share your network. It is not shared by default. Hell you can enable guest access to your network through your router settings and you don't hear everyone getting their panties bunched up over it. Because it is not enabled by default. Just like Wi-Fi Sense network sharing in Windows 10.

its pretty clear about this on install, you are presented with that option, if you enable it, well, youre an idiot.