One for the books...

Started by determined, March 04, 2009, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

Maybe some of you have seen this before, but...beware if you haven't. A co-worker opened one of the files that she's worked on many times before in indesign CS3 that contained layer that she created. Not thinking, she randomly double-clicked on the file (and since she recently installed CS4) it opened in CS4. No big surprise there, but what was a surprise was the fact that all her layers had DISAPPEARED. Not only had they vanished, taking everything with them, but she was unable to create any new layers (all options were grayed out).
New one on me. :undecided:
Murphy must have been in printing....

DigitalCrapShoveler

I had that happen to me last week. I figured it was some fluke, and restarted... went away. I assume your co-worker took it back to CS3, or did she finally get it working in 4?
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Mac or PC? I don't have CS4 but I'll bet something isn't right at all. Try trashing prefs for starters and reboot.

Ear

Don't forget to empty the Safari Cache too.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Run it through Distiller too. Better be sure!
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: determined on March 04, 2009, 10:45:20 AMMaybe some of you have seen this before, but...beware if you haven't. A co-worker opened one of the files that she's worked on many times before in indesign CS3 that contained layer that she created. Not thinking, she randomly double-clicked on the file (and since she recently installed CS4) it opened in CS4. No big surprise there, but what was a surprise was the fact that all her layers had DISAPPEARED. Not only had they vanished, taking everything with them, but she was unable to create any new layers (all options were grayed out).
New one on me. :undecided:

Must be something out of whack. I only have CS4 and open CS3 files regularly and have never seen this. I'm not complaining though. :wink:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

It was Mac and she had already saved in CS4 (they don't save previous versions here which drives me bonkers...I still save at least a customer original file). But she made it work somehow.....I had already overstepped my helping boundaries and she was a little irritable at the time, so I backed off.....but trashing prefs definitely sounds like something to try.

Slappy

I'm using the InDesign Proxy app all the time now, even though I still drag the docs to the icon instead of letting it assign all InDy docs to the app.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

determined

Update: she just trashed her prefs and rebooted to no avail. I'm thinking re-install.....

frailer

Quote from: determined on March 04, 2009, 12:45:59 PM.....I had already overstepped my helping boundaries and she was a little irritable at the time, so I backed off....

Sorry to touch on the psychological aspects. Ya can't just tech talk, can ya. Gotta worry about friggin' fragile egos.     :rolleyes:   I'm from the "come any closer and I'll pick the rest of your brain!" school of learnin'.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

determined

Joe

Only took 16 posts for determined to throw a hissy fit. Welcome to the club.  :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Get this man/woman a drink! David?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

hotmetal

Quote from: gnubler on March 04, 2009, 07:21:19 PMGet this man/woman a drink! David?

I think he's busy emptying his Safari cache.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

Quote from: hotmetal on March 04, 2009, 07:52:13 PM
Quote from: gnubler on March 04, 2009, 07:21:19 PMGet this man/woman a drink! David?

I think he's busy emptying his Safari cache.

I doubt it. The bigger the cache, the better it is. I think he's busy mixing drinks on his back porch.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david