Exporting CS2 files to PDF from CS3 (InDesign)

Started by Sparky, January 03, 2008, 04:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

I haven't really investigated this thouroughly yet but I needed to open a couple of CS2 ID document and re-export them to PDF for a customer (who lost the originals), and when doing this ID crashed and all I got was an empty icon on my desktop.

The original ID docs were created on my G4-500 with CS2 and Acrobat Pro 6.5
Since getting my new iMac (intel 2.8 GHz) and installing CS3 along with Acrobat Pro 8 that's when the trouble started.
the files both times were saved to the default (Smallest File Size)

New documents created in CS3 don't seen to be effected.

Anyone have any clues as to the culprit? or is more info needed?

Thanks ???
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Joe

What happens if you "save as" the ID CS2 doc as a ID CS3 doc and try exporting from the "new" document?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sparky

That's how I start with old files, just in case I need to keep the originals in tact.

Yup did that.

Laurens

I know it is a bit more tricky but how about saving as an INX file?
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Sparky

Quote from: Laurens on January 05, 2008, 05:57:11 AMI know it is a bit more tricky but how about saving as an INX file?

Thanks I'll try that.

I've been playing around with a few font issues (I know I won't go there) and think it has to do with legacy Type1 fonts.

Apple has really pissed me off with how they handle fonts anymore. I did a search on my machine and found 22 folders called "Fonts"  ???

And now Apple seems to want to control Helvetica as well. every time I open a document with Helv (which is almost all of my old files) in it, I get an error message from Suitcase saying it conflicts with the Helv in the system folder and I can't get rid of it because Leopard keeps "re-creating" it every time I throw it i the trash.

Anyway re-educating myself as to how to handle fonts is always a day brightener ;D

Laurens

The Helvetica issue can be fixed with this somewhat tricky procedure.

22 font folders? You are probably a victim of the Font Fairy   ;)
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Joe

Quote from: Sparky on January 05, 2008, 11:21:02 AMApple has really pissed me off with how they handle fonts anymore. I did a search on my machine and found 22 folders called "Fonts"  ???

No kidding. On my home iMac I have not installed any fonts in my system font folder(s) since installing Leopard and Linotype Font Explorer says I have 334 system fonts. That's insane and makes the OS X font nightmare even worse than it was in earlier versions.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

"I did a search on my machine and found 22 folders called "Fonts" "
That may be the font folder inside an InDesign "package". I rename these folders to job#fonts before I import into Font Explorer. Then I activate the jobs fonts and deactivate any fonts FE warns are already active. When the job is done in either InDesign or Quark I'll package it including the fonts, then delete those fonts from FE.  Almost the same as using the temporary activate that Suitcase and MasterJuggler had before we moved to OSX.
IF I get a warning when I active a customers font and have to deactivate a another font to open it, I'll also run the system font cache cleaner in FE before I attempt to open the job.
If Quarks involved I'll run the Quark Jaws folder cleaner Applescript also before trying to open the job in Quark.
As far as opening any file in a newer version I try to never do it. I've seen everything from document size change to fonts being seen wrong. One other thing I've seen is if you copy from InDesign CS3 to CS2 fonts will be sometimes be reported as missing. Even tho there were not in CS3.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Sparky

Let me interject a little history here.

1989 I went to work for a group for the first time I understood what "prepress technician" was. My teacher and mentor at this company (Sam Love) was involved in the development of the Postscript language. We had specific instructions as to how fonts were used, how the system accessed them, why there were "screen" fonts and "printer" fonts, and why they were put in suitcases. Tthe reason that when you opened a suitcase there were 5 different size "samples" of the font and why we tossed out all but 3 (usually the 10,12, and 18 pt). I spent hours sorting and reorganizing font folders by foundry, family and renaming suitcases until I was blue in the face. I've written articles for our customers about the differences between True Type and Type1 Postscript. Needless to say when I see a company like Adobe or Apple start changing things, like when they introduced OS 10 and you could no longer open a suitcase to examine it, I get a bit frazzeled. Then comes along OpenType and pretty much renders everything else useless. Apple chimes in with ".dfnt" and the customers go crazy using these, unaware that not every device can use them (same as postscript devices not handling TrueType).

Anyway after attending a seminar in Boston and speaking to an Apple tech there on how to manage fonts I at least understood where to start. The problem is that with every new generation of OS or Software upgrade something new is added. I still have a grasp on font management but don't always remember to take care of things after doing any installs (my bad). This is where I also learned to NEVER remove Lucida Grande or the system will not be able to boot = dead Mac :'(

So the thing with Helvetica is that I have the majority of my customer files containing Type1 versions of Helvetica and every time I open one I pull my hair dealing with the "conflict errors" that show up, not to mention reflow, and getting upset over why a simple thing can't be left alone.

p.s. thanks for the tip almaink but I think in Suitcase I can override the system fonts, just to lazy to worry to hard.

Sparky

GOT IT!!!

It's a "transparency space" thing when I try to export to "Smallest File Size" vs. "High Quality Print" it tells me the space doesn't match and I just ignore it and press OK any way. BAM! InDesign crashes, re-launch and export to High Quality Print and there are no problems ::) ;D

Wasn't a font issue after all. Maybe I'll spend a few moments and actually read what it said and go back and make the changes if I really need to :-[