Not a good sign

Started by Slappy, May 19, 2020, 09:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Seagate NAS at work dropped off the network over the weekend, it happens every so often but when I restarted it - not such a great sound.  >:(

Bossman insisted I tag in our IT Service and against better judgement I tried a different power supply but it didn't have enough juice to even fire the enclosure up, then a Hard Reset which of course did nada. That's when I recorded this as it tried to spin up again. Shockingly, the IT people said "That's the sound of a dying drive!" Wow - thanks.

I yanked the bad one out & running at half speed until the Synology DS220 + (2) Seagate IronWolf 2TB drives arrive, by end of week I hope.

Never a dull moment! :death:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

scottrsimons

If you have time to kill, and have data on the drive you "need" from it. Try this old trick, as I've had it work a time or two, unplug the drive and put it in the freezer over night, and then plug it in cold, and get data off ASAP.
Or the other method, leave drive powered up, but in a way you can get to it. And whack (technical term) it on the side, hopefully in time with the head trying to move.
Or last option, power down drive and remove cover of the drive and physically move the head unit to the outer edge of the platters (without touching the platters). And then plug it back in and give it a go. This has been successful for me as well.
To be fair, I've also had drives where all three options have not worked. Then you're just stuck.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Foozball

Considering the current climate ... I'm glad this thread is about a hard drive. (Am I alone here?)

Sorry Slappy.... :strangle:

Joe

Just a single bad hard drive right? You have it setup as RAID right? Just replace the bad drive and it should rebuild the array and you're good to go right?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I feel like I am going to be in this position very soon. I had a Buffalo Cloudstation (ran on Pogoplug) go belly up. The Pogoplug software was discontinued, as was their Cloud Storage I had subscribed to, and they gave me a limited time to get my shit or lose it forever... Then they fucked me DP against my will because they restricted downloads to 100mb at a time, and I had something like 1.2 TB in their cloud on their unlimited plan. I'm fairly certain I did not recover everything, so if my kids wonder where their baby pictures are, I'm kind of fucked.

In the process, the fucking thing seized up and corrupted while I was downloading to the drives (in hopes I could recover the data via USB vs. ethernet connection). I moved what I could to another NAS, and then dismantled it. I attempted to recover the drives, but to no avail. I still to this day don't know what all I recovered as it went from organized chaos on the Pogoplug Cloud to a fucking disjointed mess on my NAS.

Anyway, I put the corrupted drive and the other one into a RAID-5 array on my new Netgear NAS and reformatted. It was working great, but then lately, it's been making a funny noise so I thought it would seize. I ran diagnostics and they came back clean. I ran maintenance, and the noise stopped. I'm not convinced it's *healthy*.  I'm hoping that I can buy 2 new faster drives to replace the 2 slower dives in the array and keep things going. I'm also hoping I can upgrade from 2TB drives to 4TB drives in the interim, and then last replace the other 2TB drives with 4TB drives to double my storage capacity. I just don't want to dump my cash until I have to with things the way they are right now... I *could* easily afford it, but I don't like spending the cash until I *have* to.

I upgraded my home office computer from 8gb RAM to 32gb RAM and went from 1.5gb RAM video to 4gb RAM video (and from HDMI-VGA to DP-HDMI). I also found a lost drive and added 320gb storage to my local... And I upgraded my gaming bar computer from 4gb to 8gb RAM while adding 3tb of storage (the 500gb was maxed out).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2020, 06:33:19 AM
Just a single bad hard drive right? You have it setup as RAID right? Just replace the bad drive and it should rebuild the array and you're good to go right?
Correct, it was luckily a RAID 1 setup so it's operating in "Degraded" mode but we didn't lose anything. I found a practically new, empty 1TB USB external too so I went ahead & copied ALL the data off the remaining Seagate drive. Backup the backup, can't hurt.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Synology NAS showed up today (Drives a few days earlier) and first impression are - pretty good.

Drive(s) install was easy, wish they were tool-less like the Seagate but not horrible. Network discovery was quick, setup pretty painless although I can do without the "Sign up for!" extra services and prompts to install software that's not even explained right off the bat. Skip.

I fumbled around the interface for a while, trying to format the drives as RAID 1, before finally discovering that's what it defaulted to out of the box. Started adding Users (I want to have a little traffic control over what goes where) and I'll get to filling it with stuff over the couple of days. Going to use it to Archive all the jobs from the real server, then wipe that biatch because adding SSDs to increase space would cost upwards of $3500.