Android tablet preference

Started by Joe, November 27, 2012, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2012, 03:28:37 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on December 07, 2012, 03:22:17 PM
Quote from: t-pat on December 07, 2012, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: gnubler on December 07, 2012, 02:42:45 PMThat's why I never tell people I work with computers & graphics. It never works out well.

you think that's bad, don't ever make the mistake of telling someone you know plumbing
or tile work

I'd actually do tile work for someone, but for the going rate. Never for free.
I charge beer. But I never seem to drink enough while doing the job to make it seem worthwhile.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

I can go get my own beer, or make it, without the time and backache associated with tile work.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 02:49:59 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2012, 02:29:42 PM
Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 02:26:22 PMI've thought about it, believe me, she just wants to something to go online and check email, I don't even think she plans on reading books or watching movies, but she's got it in her head that she wants one  :tantrum2:

I sense trouble in your future. Keep your phone handy as you have to give out personalized tech support anytime you give someone a present like that. I think it's written in the bible somewhere. :laugh:

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right based on the  laptop I bought her 2 years ago

I don't know what it is, she just has a magical ability to break computers, it's kind of scary

Mine is the same way. At least once a month I get the call that her email isn't working. I ask if she hit send and receive, the answer is always yes. When I get there and hit send and receive, guess what happens?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on December 03, 2012, 05:02:18 PM
Quote from: delooch on December 03, 2012, 04:55:18 PMi did similar in the jeep - hardwired in the usb charging cable, and for audio i just have a 3.5mm jack plugged directly into an amp thats bolted down.  no more reciever/deck for crackheads to steal (i dont listen to broadcast radio). its a good setup.

the other day, i was in home depot picking up some new recepticles. saw some 110v duplex receptcles with a 110v plug on the bottom, 2 USB jacks on top.  they were $20 a pop, but im thinking it would be nice to loose the 110v-usb adapters, at least near the nightstand..

hell, I'm all over that. Wonder if they come in black decorator style, could use one of those in the kitchen where I put in a 6 way box. Could replace one of the receptacles with that, with a net gain of 1 usb port (replacing the usb==>110v adapter that's plugged in there now)

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/power_adapters/USB/in_wall_outlets

$11.50 - $12.50

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

JCPenfold

Quote from: Farabomb on December 10, 2012, 08:54:01 AM
Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 02:49:59 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2012, 02:29:42 PM
Quote from: JCPenfold on December 07, 2012, 02:26:22 PMI've thought about it, believe me, she just wants to something to go online and check email, I don't even think she plans on reading books or watching movies, but she's got it in her head that she wants one  :tantrum2:

I sense trouble in your future. Keep your phone handy as you have to give out personalized tech support anytime you give someone a present like that. I think it's written in the bible somewhere. :laugh:

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right based on the  laptop I bought her 2 years ago

I don't know what it is, she just has a magical ability to break computers, it's kind of scary

Mine is the same way. At least once a month I get the call that her email isn't working. I ask if she hit send and receive, the answer is always yes. When I get there and hit send and receive, guess what happens?

I don't know what she does, she must download a bunch of malware crap. A few months after she starts using a computer it's running slow, getting random error messages and crashing. And I can't do tech support by phone, especially on PC's, I have to be in front of it to see what the options are, which involves a 20-30 minute drive

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Farabomb

Look into logmein.com. Might save you a few drives. I'd be lost without it here. I'm 45-60 minutes away from the shop and I can remote in and take care of 90% of the issues.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

JCPenfold

Quote from: Farabomb on December 10, 2012, 10:26:35 AMLook into logmein.com. Might save you a few drives. I'd be lost without it here. I'm 45-60 minutes away from the shop and I can remote in and take care of 90% of the issues.

I did that with her laptop, I would hope she would have less issues on a tablet, they make it harder to screw up (I think) - it's more the "why can't I get online, how do I download a game, which screen is my email on" questions. That's why I like my iPad, I think it's so intuitive, but again, so expensive, I'm pissed that the mini didn't come out with retina display

Farabomb

Android is making a lot of headway into making it as easy as iOS. I think a lot of the issues, at least with my mom is her unwillingness to learn. After she told me that she isn't interested in learning how to use the laptop I told her then I'm done helping you. Go harass my nephew or someone if all you're doing is wasting my time.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

JCPenfold

Must be people of a certain age - she insists she's too old or dumb to figure it out, she just wants someone to do everything technical for her

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: JCPenfold on December 10, 2012, 10:44:34 AMMust be people  of a certain age - she insists she's told or dumb to figure it out, she just wants someone to do everything technical for her

That has nothing to do with age. :tongue: :old:

JCPenfold

delooch

ive been trying to get my dad off a netbook and onto a tablet.  tablets seem a lot harder to mess up than windowsOS.

my only difficulty is he loves to print web pages, and thats still difficult as hell to do on a tablet. hoping the android OS gets some kind of native wi-fi print capabilities soon..

also, the old guy's hands shake like a paint mixer - at least on the tablet hes poking at what he sees, the netbook he has to take his eyes off the screen to look at the keyboard.  seems like hes a little more successful on the tablet navigtion despite the shaking.

Joe

delooch

yeah, theres a  bunch of those apps, but you gotta keep a local networked pc up and running to use them. id like to eliminate the PC from the loop.