Versant 180 - Waking up

Started by Possum, March 22, 2019, 12:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

This is the fifth model Xerox printer I've worked with, and it does something the others didn't. When a job is sent to it from a computer program or CWS, the thing stays asleep until you go push the button to wake it up. It takes a long time to wake up, then you finally get your stuff. When all you sent was one page, it's aggravating to say the least. I've started a print job on the thing, only to have three or four other things come out that were sent while it was sleeping. A tech that was here for various things was told about this, but I guess he couldn't do anything about it. All our other machines woke up when you sent them a job. What's up with this monstrosity?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Possum on March 22, 2019, 12:23:25 PMThis is the fifth model Xerox printer I've worked with, and it does something the others didn't. When a job is sent to it from a computer program or CWS, the thing stays asleep until you go push the button to wake it up. It takes a long time to wake up, then you finally get your stuff. When all you sent was one page, it's aggravating to say the least. I've started a print job on the thing, only to have three or four other things come out that were sent while it was sleeping. A tech that was here for various things was told about this, but I guess he couldn't do anything about it. All our other machines woke up when you sent them a job. What's up with this monstrosity?
Same boat.

It fucking sucks hairy ass.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Thanks for saying something, I thought it was just me.
Is that some young MBA-snot-nosed-SOB's idea of an "upgrade" or what?
We've spent years knowing printing to a device will wake it up, now we have to walk over and do a secondary touch to do this?
What if we're working remote, like across the street in a different division?
I WANT ANSWERS DAMNIT!!!11
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Possum

Thanks for the answers, guys. When you've got a tech that comes out one time, then the next time a supervisor comes with him to hold his hand, somewhere I got the idea he may not know everything about this machine. At least now I know it's not fixable.

I get the impression the machine thinks it's too "professional" to be bothered waking up for anything but some big, honking, all day job.

Possum

Maybe we could persuade the CWS people to put a new feature in their next edition - a "wake the hell up" button for Xeroxes. :rotf:

wonderings

If our Versant 2100 is asleep and I drop a file in CWS and set it up and hit print it wakes the printer up. Sure it takes a while to warm up and all but I do not need to hit any buttons.

Pretty sure in the tech menu you can adjust the sleep timer, ours used to be on a lot longer but they shortened it saying it was better for the machine.

Possum

The tech fiddled with the sleep timer. That doesn't seem to control whether it wakes up or not when you send a job to it. Whether it's sent direct from somebody's program or through CWS, it won't wake up until you go physically press the button on the control panel to wake it up. CWS even gives me a message with the red alert stripe telling me the machine's sleeping.

wonderings

Quote from: Possum on March 25, 2019, 12:19:52 PMThe tech fiddled with the sleep timer. That doesn't seem to control whether it wakes up or not when you send a job to it. Whether it's sent direct from somebody's program or through CWS, it won't wake up until you go physically press the button on the control panel to wake it up. CWS even gives me a message with the red alert stripe telling me the machine's sleeping.

I wonder if they 180 has some different software controlling it. I can say without a doubt that if I drop a PDF in CWS, set it all up and click print it wakes up my 2100 and prints it. I do not need to push the button or anything on the control panel.  CWS will show the machine is asleep as well but it does not stop it from being woken up by a job processing and printing.

wonderings

Just thought of something. Is your RIP computer going to sleep? I think ours is set to never sleep but the screen will go black after a while. Maybe it is as simple as setting Windows to never sleep.

Possum

We've got an external Fiery and that's it. I may look into seeing if it sleeps; we've always had internal Fierys before. I've worked with several Xerox models, and CWS always woke them up, as well as just printing direct from an app. This may be an "improvement" with this model. That's why I asked here, to see if others had the problem or it was just us.

wonderings

Quote from: Possum on March 26, 2019, 09:56:50 AMWe've got an external Fiery and that's it. I may look into seeing if it sleeps; we've always had internal Fierys before. I've worked with several Xerox models, and CWS always woke them up, as well as just printing direct from an app. This may be an "improvement" with this model. That's why I asked here, to see if others had the problem or it was just us.

It is a bit different. I know I have accidentally hit the sleep button on the keyboard and it messes stuff up. There should be a setting in Windows 7 to change this. Not sure I would want to leave it like that 24/7 though. I shut our Fiery down every night.

Joe

So you are using this from Windows? Try following these instructions about the settings for the port it is using from Windows.

Is Your Xerox Printer Not Waking Up?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Thanks, Joe. I'll send this to the manager. She works from Windows.

Possum

Update: There is now a patch to the Fiery controller that is supposed to address this issue. It's just been installed on ours but hasn't been tested yet. Fingers crossed.