Adobe memory issues?

Started by delooch, October 15, 2008, 03:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

OK, windows XP, Adobe CS2..

I have always had issues with InDesign on my workstation PC- Occasionaly, when launching, (about 80% of the time) i get a memory error - "instruction at blah blah referenced memory at blah baah - memory could not be read" - the only way ive found to avoid it, is after a successful launch, saving a blank document, then continue working. I dont know why it works this way, it just does. Ive tried re-installing CS and windows, nothing seems to help.  Any InDesign jobs jsut get shuffled over to my lappy...

well now Acrobat is doing the same thing, only it happens when i pull up the print properties dialogue, or try to use a twain scanning source.

it only happens on this damn dell machine im working on, everything else runs smoothly. 

I already had my tech guys swap out the memory, but that didnt change anything. They are going to do a complete re-install AGAIN this weekend, but i dont think thats going to change anything, as weve done it 2 times before.

I know this is pretty vague info, but does anyone have any ideas??

Joe

Try lowering the resolution of your display adapter one notch and see if it changes the behavior any. Shot in the dark but you seem to have covered the other more obvious choices.

If that does not help try re-booting into safe mode and see if you still get the same behavior. If it runs okay in safe mode try deactivating some of the programs that automatically launch at startup.

If that fails...buy a Mac! :tongue: :laugh: (just kidding...mostly)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

tried the resolution change, no luck.  Safe mode fails too.  Even tried "compatability mode' for win2k.

Im going to try adjusting my swap file and see if that changes anything.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on October 15, 2008, 04:56:00 PMtried the resolution change, no luck.  Safe mode fails too.  Even tried "compatability mode' for win2k.

Im going to try adjusting my swap file and see if that changes anything.

In that case it sounds hardware related. You've changed memory so that rules that out. Now only eleventy billion more possibilities. :cool:

delooch

i think its just a bad combo of crap in this box. nothing is working, still. I think i need to put my foot down and make them replace this friggin thing.

Joe

Preferably with a shiney new Mac! :tongue:

delooch

in my dreams.. I might as well requisition a new Lamborghini and an assistant. ill be lucky to get a box with the same specs as the old one.