News:

Main Menu

remapping colorbars

Started by Trish, July 03, 2018, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trish

Is there a simple way to remap color bars to be PMS? For example my colorbar  is CMYK + PMS 1 + PMS 2.
I have a job that has 4 PMS colors. The pressman would like me to remap the 7546 to be Cyan, the 200 to be Magenta, the 130 to be Yellow and the 7546 and the 185 to be Black.
Is there a way for these color to easily remap into the correct position on the color bar. I have another color bar that is all PMS, but the pressman doesn't like it, because it does not have as many fields to read.

Any advice would be appreciated. Happy 4th everyone. Stay safe!
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

AaronH

Hey Trish, you sure can remap colors. In the Job Settings, click on Job Description under Job Structure and select the ink tab. Next choose your ink and in the bottom right there will be an Alias drop down. You can select whatever you'd like to Alias the ink to. That should work. Let us know if it doesn't!
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Trish

Thank you. I know I can do it that way, but that changes for color the way I didn't want to. I wanted to keep my pMS as PMS, just telling them to use different field in the colorbar.  I don't really want to have it change my proof files...I will do that if I have no other choice. Damn pressman!
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

AaronH

Do you have your color bar PDF file? You might be able to remap them with Pitstop or Illustrator and change them to PMS 1, PMS 2, etc. The downside is you don't have control over which PMS goes in one which slot, I think XMF chooses based on density what order to put them in.

Tracy

You can create a new color bar based on your 4 color bar and change the colors to what you need
The color bar will be job specific tho

pabney

You can create your own remapping color bar to use in these situations.
If you name the colors in your file FUJI:SpotX (with X being a sequential number) your spots will remap.
Attached is a solid 6 color color bar that we use for spot color only jobs.
Keep in mind that if you only have 5 spots, spot 6 in the color bar will be skipped.

pabney

You might also want to look at creating a smart color bar. This would allow the color bar itself to change based on the colors in the job. So if you have a CMYK job it uses the CMYK color bar. A K+1 spot would use the black and one spot color bar, and a 2 spot only would use the 2 spot color bar. All with the same mark placed on the template.

AaronH

Hey pabney, how would you make a smart colorbar like that? Do you have a tutorial link or something?

Tracy

Yeah Pabney, how do you do that! :laugh:
Just wondering if it leaves blank spots.

pabney

Just got in after the holiday. Will try and get something together and post some quick instructions on this today.

pabney

Ok, some quick instructions on Intelligent Marks.
First thing to mention is this is not a single mark. It is more of an instruction to the rip as to what mark to use based on the colors in the job. So you have to create a custom color bar for each scenario that you want, as well as a default. If you look at the Create Mark 1 image attachment, you can see I have 15 marks that start with Color Bars. I created these in Indesign (idml attached) and exported them to a pdf using the names you see. If you use separate documents instead of layers, keep in mind that all of the mark versions should be the same size.

Once the pdf files are created you import them into Custom Marks in the admin panel and push the "New Intelligent Mark" button on the bottom. This opens a new screen where you set your conditions. See attachment Create Mark 2. Here you set the conditions for when to use which mark, as well as normal mark settings. You select the condition drop down, and what mark to use and add it to the list. In my example the rule for CMYK says to use mark Color Bars_4C.pdf and the CMYK+2Spots uses mark Color Bars_KS2.pdf. You also MUST define a default mark. This is what the system uses when it can not match any of the rules. Also, you have a limit of 20 rules per smart mark.

If you use this smart mark on your templates, the system will use the mark defined in the rules, based on the surface ink used. See attachment Surface Colors. In this example Sheet 1 front will use the mark for 2 spot colors, and Sheet 1 Back will use the CMYK+1 spot mark.

Thats about it. I tested this a few years back and it seemed to work ok. My example refresher course today also worked just fine, but I DO NOT use this in my shop. Our color bar needs are very simple, and I just use one CMYK+2 color bar and the press room deals with the holes. So if you have any questions I may not be able to answer them, although I will try.

AaronH

Thats pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

frailer

Quote from: AaronH on July 05, 2018, 01:36:52 PMThats pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

I call that's 'power-user' XMF.  :laugh:

We're unsophisticated here; they don't use colour bars as many use them, they're happy with solid bars, so I just go 'New' in Custom Marks, drag'n'drop, get size, allocate the Spot(s) in the job. But you need to have loaded the job first for the 'pick-up'.

On the bright side, they've finally graduated to CIP3s, which we're able to generate from Black Magic files without too much fuss.
The automated generation from XMF was too 'spendy'...an expression I'd not heard until a waiter used it in reference to a wine we'd ordered in Kallispel, MT. (I know, WTF were you doing there?). It was '97.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Diddler

Just a side note:
IF you use Global sheet Marks or Intelligent Marks, make sure your Stripping Sheets do not contain any of the Marks on them when assigned or they will double up or possibly contain the wrong type of colour bars needed for the press.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Good point. Global arse-biter, potentially.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.