Prinect Trap Editor V.5.0.22 Issue

Started by citiprinter, December 14, 2009, 09:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citiprinter

I am having a lot of issues with trapping.  Thishas been going on for years, I thought it was me...But I do not thinkso.  I have black text with a white outline over a starburst. This textis a paragraph , not separate words, but the outline disappeared fromone word and not the others.  I missed it and it printed like this.  Isthis supposed to happen?  How can I trap my files with confidence?  Is there something I am doing wrong?  Trapping works sometimes with no issues and then something like this happens and my credibility is at stake.  Are there any others that this happens to?  If so, what settings do you have to correct this?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Black text with a white outline doesn't trap. The white outline negates any need for a choke, a spread or an overprint. Check the stroke around the black type and make sure it isn't set to overprint. White set to overprint becomes nothing and is a VERY common mistake.
Member #285 - Civilian

citiprinter

The white outline (stroke) is applied to the text in the whole paragraph but only has issue with one word.

DigitalCrapShoveler

What is this built in? Give me some details.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

citiprinter

This was built from Adobe InDesign CS4.  I only trapped because there are other items in file that does need trapping.  It isn't set to overprint otherwise the rest of the text would have disappeared.

I have a screen shot but don't know how to upload on this forum.

Joe

You can upload the screen shot when posting. See attached image. Note size limitations.

Joe

OK, so that is the trapped PDF and the original PDF has the white stroke around "Service:"? From your screen shot it appears the black is set to overprint and it appears the CMY is getting choked back a great deal. Not sure how or why that might just affect the one word though. You've checked the stroke on just the one word with Pitstop and it's definitely not set to overprint? I would try changing the black to knockout and run it again just to see if that might be causing a problem.

DigitalCrapShoveler

My question would be, why is the black in the type getting choked back like that? It shouldn't even be trapping.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I think their trapper is choking it back because the black is set to overprint...which it shouldn't be. No need for it as you've already stated.

citiprinter

I just double-checked my InDesign file.  The stroke or fill is not set to overprint.  Not sure why it looks like it is.

Joe

If you have your InDesign preferences set to overprint black, it will overprint blacks even if you don't specifically have the object set to overprint. Try unchecking the setting for Black overprint in your InDesign preferences and re-output to see if it makes a difference.

Also, is this something that is repeatable? Like does it come out this way every time?

citiprinter

I did have the preferences set to Overprint.  I made that change and ran Trapping with same result.  This prompted me to check the settings in ColorManagement.  See image below. There is a similar setting for overprint.  We have it checked.  If I uncheck it the problem goes away.  Hooray!  Unfortunately, we need to have this checked for many other jobs that come through.  Also, wondering why it's only this one word.  Can't figure that one out yet.

Joe

I'm at a loss as to why it's only happening on one word but I'm thinking it's happening because of the black overprinting and then it's applying the trap (choking 3 colors back underneath the black type). I don't use Prinect so I can't really comment on it's settings. We use Prinergy and we have black overprint turned off for all blacks except text smaller than 18 pt. This gives us black knockout for anything other than smaller black text. I see you also have checked the setting for knocking out all whites. That usually takes care of issues like this. It's a mystery to me.