Starting off...

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, March 05, 2008, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I have a Bowie knife, it's friggen' huge (ok, not a real one, but a replica), and no, I don't carry it around, it's friggen huge!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: david on March 10, 2011, 03:23:05 PMI have a Bowie knife, it's friggen' huge (ok, not a real one, but a replica), and no, I don't carry it around, it's friggen huge!

Hey, what a coincidence ... I have a Bowie *album* that I don't carry around because of its size.

frailer

OK, just read the lyndadotcom newsletter. The USA still has the advantage, IMO, on innovative, scaled-up, clever, service-oriented enterprises like this.
Just thought I'd make a statement,is all. It's Friday Loony Tunes over time, late Friday, and am feeling contemplative.
You may go now.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on March 10, 2011, 11:07:35 PMOK, just read the lyndadotcom newsletter. The USA still has the advantage, IMO, on innovative, scaled-up, clever, service-oriented enterprises like this.
Just thought I'd make a statement,is all. It's Friday Loony Tunes over time, late Friday, and am feeling contemplative.
You may go now.

Are you guys allowed to drink at work or something?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 10, 2011, 11:07:35 PMOK, just read the lyndadotcom newsletter. The USA still has the advantage, IMO, on innovative, scaled-up, clever, service-oriented enterprises like this.
You may go now.

Quote from: Earendil on March 10, 2011, 11:44:02 AMI'm so happy this thread was started. I was just watching tutorials and trying to decide where to start on this very thing. Very interested.

I'm sure lynda.com is great. For the terminally cheap, thinking of myself here, another good option and FREE is W3 Schools. One of the things I would recommend if you are planning on getting into doing web design/development is to learn CSS. Start with the HTML and then add the CSS. It will make your life easier.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Ditto with Joe. There are infinite free resources available to learn about web dev. Everyone learns differently and that's fine. In the past I've purchased overpriced manuals to learn HTML & CSS because I like having the reference there in my hands instead of being glued to a computer screen, but most of my knowledge has come from free stuff online.

I've said it many times before but anyone getting into web design/dev needs to start with a solid knowledge of HTML, CSS, and PHP if you really want to get into it. Let's just say that every time I acquire websites from former webmasters who sponge off apps like Dreamweaver what I get is a bunch of garbage. Dreamweaver is like the Pooplisher of the web world.

Joe

Ditto right back at you. Even worse than Dreamweaver are the sites created with one of the many $69 applications like Serif WebPlus X4. It's crap and editing it is a real bitch. HTML and CSS is within the grasp of almost anyone. PHP is a mofo but if you learn it you are golden in web development. I can edit it at this point but writing it is still out of my reach. Java and Javascript are handy to know too. Flash can be useful but I wouldn't go out of my way to learn it. There is a boatload of free open source solutions for about any kind of web site you will probably ever need. Joomla is still probably the top of the line for a full blown CMS but I'm really starting to lose faith in them as so much of their add ons and themes are no longer free but there are plenty of others to choose from.

gnubler

Of course two of the sites I'm working on now are Joomla-based (my choice). I have noticed many of the extensions are no longer free but that's no surprise. There's still lots that are free, though. But even just a virgin Joomla site on its own is pretty kickass and as I worked on it today I thought back ten years to when none of this existed.

There are tons of free, quality Joomla themes out there. I wouldn't pay for one unless you need something specific. I spent most of yesterday totally raping a free Joomla theme to make it mine and to wipe out all the flashy bullshit.

Joe

Where are you finding "good" free Joomla themes? It seems like the only free ones I find anymore are crap.

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on March 10, 2011, 11:37:02 PM
You may go now.

Are you guys allowed to drink at work or something?

:laugh:    Point taken. 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on March 11, 2011, 03:41:48 AMWhere are you finding "good" free Joomla themes? It seems like the only free ones I find anymore are crap.

Heroturko.  :laugh:

I stopped downloading website templates from sites like that after getting one that was quarantined by my anti-virus.

Joe

Yeah, I remember that. The last time I looked I couldn't find much in the way of good quality free Jooomla templates that were easily downloadable.