Photoshop Effects In illustrator Prepress?

Started by davegbx, July 15, 2008, 09:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davegbx

Does anyone know anything about "Effects > Photoshop Effects" in illustrator and how they translate to print? They seem interesting and can make cool stuff happen but often in illustrator that translates to RIP problems. Any comments, tips or links to in depth discussion would be greatly appreciated.     Thanks all.

gnubler

I'm curious as well - I'm guessing this is in CS3...I'm still using CS. I don't feel favorably about that because I'm one of those purists who uses the right application for the type of artwork being created. Adding all these extra features just creates a big bloated monster, IMO.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Illustrator handles pixel data just like Photoshop, however using any of these effects without FIRST setting up your Document Raster Effects can be suicide. /Effects/Document Raster Effects Settings. Set it to 300 DPI.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Adobes attempt at adding every feature imaginable to every application they have. Causes bloat galore. You can do a lot of them in InDesign too. (Object menu, Effects) Current RIP's should handle them if they are done correctly.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on July 15, 2008, 09:30:21 AMAdobes attempt at adding every feature imaginable to every application they have. Causes bloat galore. You can do a lot of them in InDesign too. (Object menu, Effects) Current RIP's should handle them if they are done correctly.

Ain't that the truth.
Member #285 - Civilian

jezza

The only other thing to bear in mind is colour space especially if you start using blending modes and just as in photoshop, a lot of the effects are only available in RGB mode
one sick prepress mofo

davegbx

Thanks for the quick response! So let summarize what I'm hearing:

--Illustrator handles pixel data the same way that photoshop does but be careful of raster effects resolution and color space. But essentially current RIPs should be able to handle them.

So let me pick your brains a little with a few more questions... 

1. Effects are adjustable after being applied, they seem to scale too. Should these be 'Transparency Flattened' before going to press or let the printer take care of it?

2. I've seen a work around for transparencies where you export the layers that the transparencies affect (and the transparency) as a TIFF and place it back into the document to insure a proper RIP. Do you think it is necessary or effective for effects. Any opinions or input on this method?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Your Prepress guy SHOULD be able to handle native transparency, but I am one who cannot. My RIP cannot process transparent files on the fly, so everything I do has to be flattened. You are correct in saying the resolution can be adjusted midstream to raster effects, as long as they are not pattern fills. The resolution of patterned fills causes shifting if the Doc Rez is not adjusted prior to build. Whatever the outcome transparent or not, your Prepress guy can handle both, if he can't, he should be shot!

Your step #2 is absolutely NOT necessary!
Member #285 - Civilian

David

I prefer to keep the transparency live as long as I can, and only flatten when it goes to RIP, but that's cause we got some of the newest RIPs here (Esko all the way, with a couple of EVO boxes).
I agree with DCS, your step 2 is not needed, unless you are sending your files to a printer that works with really old equipment that can't handle any form of transparency (or an prepress operator who freaks when they see the "atomic regions" that happen when it's flattened).

My opinion is the same as gnubler's, use the right app for what you're doing, Photoshop for pixel work, Illy for vector work, and a good page layout app to bring them all together.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: david on July 16, 2008, 07:00:42 AMMy opinion is the same as gnubler's, use the right app for what you're doing, Photoshop for pixel work, Illy for vector work, and a good page layout app to bring them all together.
I echoe that sentiment.  Just because you can do it in all of the applications doesn't mean you should.  You may be asking for problems if you do.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

davegbx

Thanks all I really appreciate the feed back! The conclusion I draw here is use Illustrators photoshop effects only if there is no other way to achieve your creative goal and if it is necessary bet on your prepress guy to be capable of handling the file. Ultimately the use of a page layout program (I prefer InDesign) is the optimal way to bring pixel based and vector based art together.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

agent_orange

Instead of wondering if your prepress guy can handle transparency, you should treat him like your butcher. Talk to him and form a relationship. Most of us would LOVE to have someone ask us what will make the job easier for all involved. I know that when people treat me like I might actually know something about what what I'm doing, are courteous enough to ask my opinion and realize there's more to my job than "just hitting print" I'm way more likely to go out of my way for them. If people make an effort and are cool about it and want to know how to improve, I'll gladly throw them some free prepress time now and then. It will make your work more efficient and trouble free and just might save you some time and money in the long run...