CMYK% to Spot colour conversion

Started by EyeTech, October 04, 2010, 05:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeTech

Haven't been posting for a good while but came across this useful clip that shows how to work CMYK%'s to a Spot colour  (if it's been posted before then apologies)

The ad preceding it is a minor inconvenience but worth putting up with.

Quick convert to Spot from CMYK

Cheers

RK
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

jimking

EyeTech

Thanks for that one jim - could help us out if a client hasn't got Illy.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

DigitalCrapShoveler

I go into Photoshop, hit the foreground color, type in the value in the CMYK fields, then hit the Color Libraries button. PS will find the closest color to that value in Pantone.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

^^ That's what I've always done. Since DCS does it too it must be the best way.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't know. I've been gettin' pommeled on here for my ways lately. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Only by me. I thought you liked the abuse, no?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 04, 2010, 12:54:31 PMI don't know. I've been gettin' pommeled on here for my ways lately. :laugh:

Well if it makes you feel any better...

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 04, 2010, 12:41:32 PMI go into Photoshop, hit the foreground color, type in the value in the CMYK fields, then hit the Color Libraries button. PS will find the closest color to that value in Pantone.

I approve of this method. :tongue: :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Has anyone compared the values between the Photoshop method and jim's link above? I'm gonna try a few and see what the results are.

almaink

UNzip and drop this javascript into Illy's Presets/scripts folder and get CMYK to Pantone conversions.
http://b3.s3.p.quickshareit.com/files/cmyktopmszip833c1.zip
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 04, 2010, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 04, 2010, 12:54:31 PMI don't know. I've been gettin' pommeled on here for my ways lately. :laugh:

Well if it makes you feel any better...

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 04, 2010, 12:41:32 PMI go into Photoshop, hit the foreground color, type in the value in the CMYK fields, then hit the Color Libraries button. PS will find the closest color to that value in Pantone.

I approve of this method. :tongue: :sarcasm:

Hahahahaha. I love the abuse... it toughens my nipples.
Member #285 - Civilian

Grimace

Never seen or heard of this before.
I went right to photoshop to give it a try, but I'm not finding the Color Libraries button you refer to. Or I see it and don't know that is what is called...

Grimace

Never mind, I got it! I never realized the usefulness of that until now! Thanks!

gnubler

I thought that was standard prepress knowledge! I've been doing the PS method for years...

Grimace

Quote from: gnubler on October 05, 2010, 10:43:33 AMI thought that was standard prepress knowledge! I've been doing the PS method for years...

Yeah, I feel like a dork! I always created a box next to the color I was trying to match and fill it with pantone colors that were close and then pick the best one. No longer.
I have no official training in prepress, just kinda ask a lot of questions and peruse excellent sites like this one.