Create outline 1/4" away from image?

Started by Clever Endeavor, March 21, 2012, 09:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clever Endeavor

Good morning all!

We're making print & cut vinyl, and we need a white border about .25" around the outside of the objects. I've included a screenshot of what I'm looking at. I need the white (background) to trace around the tree and the totalscape. I can draw it with the pen, but it's not going to look right. Is there a trick in  the pathfinder tool or something similar that will help keep these outlines uniform?

Thank you very much!

I'm still an illustrator noob. InDesign, no problem, but AI is apparently my nemesis. I lose battles all the time.

Blake

t-pat

try outlining it with the pen tool as you say, as best as you can. Then offset the stroke, and simplify it smooth or use the smooth tool. HTH
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

beermonster

copy everything, make a new layer under all that lot, put all the copied stuff on the new layer, merge it all with pathfinder, give it a white stroke width of your choice

since it's now a single shape and underneath the maingraphics, half of the stroke width will be visible - increase or decrease as required

to be able to "see" it, make yet another layer, put it under the new white layer, draw a big box and fill with say blue and your white stroke will be visible. lock the new blue box layer and the top graphic layer/layers and leave the white stroke layer active for easy editing of the white stroke

hope this helps
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Skryber

Select only the parts of the image that will have the border with the direct selection tool. Go to Appearance and in the menu area select add new stroke. Then effect-path-outline object. Then you can change stroke weight and such.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

I forgot, then "align stroke to outside" in strokes panel.

Beer's way will probably work better though bc I'm not sure with that intricate path if stokes will overlap your image.

You should send me that logo so I can play.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

andyfest

Quote from: beermonster on March 21, 2012, 10:01:38 AMcopy everything, make a new layer under all that lot, put all the copied stuff on the new layer, merge it all with pathfinder, give it a white stroke width of your choice

since it's now a single shape and underneath the maingraphics, half of the stroke width will be visible - increase or decrease as required

to be able to "see" it, make yet another layer, put it under the new white layer, draw a big box and fill with say blue and your white stroke will be visible. lock the new blue box layer and the top graphic layer/layers and leave the white stroke layer active for easy editing of the white stroke

hope this helps
Further, if you set the stroke of the selected bottom layer items at 36 pt, then use Skryber's technique to outline the stroke ie: convert to fills and fill with white on a bottom layer, you should end up with 1/4 in white border around the selected shapes.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

beermonster

andyfest is right - however i always preferred to keep things live so i never convert the stroke to outline - that way i can edit the stroke if needed

Clever Endeavor

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BsM25IQVM1UjdOUjhUQw

Here is the file. It has a pencil drawing around it. That gives you an idea of what I need. The stroke idea is great, but it stroke each leaf in the tree, and I don't want that.

Feel free to look and play around.

Thanks!

DigiCorn

You can expand the stroke and then ungroup and delete the portions you don't want (unless they overlap and unite).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

how many prepressers does it take to outline a shape?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Skryber

beermonster

i just did it and posted it - where the bejeebub is it?

beermonster

ok i've posted the file twice now and it's not showing up :wtf:

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Quote from: beermonster on March 21, 2012, 11:23:56 AMok i've posted the file twice now and it's not showing up :wtf:

Need a FTP? I can help, PM me.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job