News:

Main Menu

Tablets

Started by DigiCorn, April 18, 2012, 12:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

As I told Joe already, I bought the LePan tablet from Amazon for $199. It runs Froyo Android 2.2, but a lot of techies are saying this tablet rocks if you install Gingerbread instead. Is anyone running Gingerbread on an android device, and if you, what's your experience like? Is it worth the hassle?

[edit]I should clarify this. Is Gingerbread more stable than Honeycomb? Which is the best OS to run?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Yes, yes and yes.

My phone shipped with Froyo and gingerbread made a huge difference. Now I'm just waiting for the devs to crack samsungs RIL so we have have ICS.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

If I want to update my phone from Froyo to Gingerbread (not the tablet), will I lose what I have on it?

I edited my original post. Why Gingerbread and not Honeycomb? Which is better/more stable?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Honeycomb is the original Tab version of android. They ended up merging the phone and tab versions for convince. There are a lot of newer apps and such that won't run on honeycomb. I have had 0 issues with gingerbread but YMMV. The woman had a HTC thunderbolt and no matter what it was running it was shit. Verizon got tired of hearing me yell and replaced it with a droid charge, the same one I have. Within a few days she was all rooted and ROMed up and loves the phone. You have a galaxy S?

Is there an official release from your cell provider or do you have to use something from a dev? If it's from your carrier you should loose nothing. I'd look into either MyBackup or Titanium backup. They allow you to back up things to the SD card so if you have to do a wipe you save the data. If you are going with something from a dev I'd suggest rooting the phone. It's like having admin privileges and you can do a lot more. Check xda developers for more info.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I really don't have anything on my phone that can't be replaced. Just a bunch of apps, some music and movies... but all that stuff is on my computer at home, and it's a simple drag-and-drop to copy it back. I have the Samsung Infuse, which was touted as "the latest and greatest," but never got the publicity that the Galaxy II did. In reality, I think it's the same phone, in the manner that the Ford Five Hundred is the same as the Ford Taurus.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Run run as fast as you can, can't catch him he's the gingercorn man.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

So then it's not far off mine I assume. Same basic hardware, different radios. Backing up app data helps by saving all you setting for the app, high scores and angry birds levels.

Read up Here and if you have any questions I can probably help seeing as the method should be the same as my phone.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 18, 2012, 12:46:51 PMAs I told Joe already, I bought the LePan tablet from Amazon for $199. It runs Froyo Android 2.2, but a lot of techies are saying this tablet rocks if you install Gingerbread instead. Is anyone running Gingerbread on an android device, and if you, what's your experience like? Is it worth the hassle?

[edit]I should clarify this. Is Gingerbread more stable than Honeycomb? Which is the best OS to run?

Just got mine from newegg this morning. Didn't have time to open it as I had to come to work early due to Prinergy taking a crap. And it's still crapping but I digress...I'm going to try the upgrade to whatever version they say I can upgrade to. I do know it will not let you upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

wtf is ice cream sandwich?

and, who comes up with these dumbass names?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on April 18, 2012, 02:18:38 PMwtf is ice cream sandwich?

Google.

Farabomb

Google refers to the android builds as dessert names so the answer to your question is google.

Let me know how you guys get on  with those tabs. That's the right price for me and I won't have to wait for the new ASUS one

yea, that.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I might need some help. I've never used an Android device, let alone upgraded one. I'll keep you on speed PM.

Farabomb

No problem, PMs go to my droid.  :afro:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on April 18, 2012, 02:24:26 PMLet me know how you guys get on  with those tabs.
We'll be sure to let you know if it's the droid you're looking for.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: david on April 18, 2012, 02:18:38 PMwtf is ice cream sandwich?

Oh, you're just old! Poopypants.

Now go google my bebo on your droid. :naughty:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david