Have a AI file with missing links?

• Open in ai Acrobat Pro
• Use advanced editing tool to delete a crop mark and save
• Reopen in Illustrator
• Warning box will pop up saying it has been modified outside of Illustrator
• Choose the "keep changes" option.
• Links are now embedded.

Slappy

interesting, have to try this but - how is it fixing the missing links? Are there proxy images at the original resolution embedded in the AI file that Acrobat detects & maintains?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Exploded

I think because ai saves files as pdf compatible natively now (the pdf has the missing links embedded), doing this forces ai to open the pdf.

I guess this may not work if you force ai not to include pdf compatibility under the save options. 

t-pat

:goodpost:

I usually just refine the AI through a basic Prinergy refine. This gives me back a pdf with images embedded.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

missing links get kicked back, just sayin'
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

vdp donkey

Joe

Links aren't missing. I can see 'em right there on my screen!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

we have rules damnit!!!

where's my margarita?

looks even better now on my screen!
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Not a bad way to go David, cause if you make it work, they will want color correx/retouching after the first round... THEN you get to tell them their files are incomplete.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

t-pat

in this scenario, the links are not missing. They're just not embedded to the point that you can open the ai without it telling you they are missing. I'd rather them be embedded and tell them FU I "can't" color correct your images.
vdp donkey

David

You can edit them even if they are embedded, that's not the point. Embedded images are not missing.
 It's just if they are missing and we don't have the links available, I KIB, because I do not want to explain it later why I need them.
Some customers get pissed if you tell them days later you need an important part of the file. Most of our customers want to know within a few hours if their files are acceptable or not.

your mileage may vary...
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

*I* know I can edit them if they're embedded, but that line has worked for me so many times I'd like for you to not be sharing that it's a blatant lie, thankyouverymuch.
vdp donkey

Fontaholic

Quote from: t-pat on September 05, 2013, 09:46:31 AM*I* know I can edit them if they're embedded, but that line has worked for me so many times I'd like for you to not be sharing that it's a blatant lie, thankyouverymuch.

Yeah -- blatant lies are part of our stock-in-trade in the prepress department, y'know!!   :evil:

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

t-pat

Quote from: Fontaholic on September 05, 2013, 10:57:04 AM
Quote from: t-pat on September 05, 2013, 09:46:31 AM*I* know I can edit them if they're embedded, but that line has worked for me so many times I'd like for you to not be sharing that it's a blatant lie, thankyouverymuch.

Yeah -- blatant lies are part of our stock-in-trade in the prepress department, y'know!!   :evil:

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

the knife cuts both ways sometimes. I am lied to all day, every day.
vdp donkey

Slappy

I'd rather kick it now, than set up the scenario where some time down the line I can't work on a file and some salestard says "But you did it befoooooore!!!!" Our turnaround times are getting shorter & shorter, the days of being able just "make it work" regardless of time spent/wasted are quickly disappearing.

At least I see it that way, ymmv tyvm yolo bbq ttyl.  :banana:

And still, all of that aside, it's a good thing to know - thx!  :goodpost:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.